Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

speaker jack only plays right channel

Hi everybody,

since a few days when i plug my speakers or earplugs into the speakers-jack, only the right channel has been playing. I already checked "balance" in the system preferences - it is centered.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 2:03 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2013 2:21 PM in response to avantgerd

Sometimes, the plug remainsloose or misaligned when you plug it in, and this often results in only one channel playing. Try nudging the body of the plug to see if both channels will play. This can become a more frequent problem if you often plug/unplug cables into these small (aka 3.5mm) audio jacks.

Also, just to be thorough, when you unplug the cable, do both speakers in you MBP play?

Dec 15, 2013 2:27 PM in response to sanjampet

Hey thanks for replying so quickly. Could have been the solution (jack in/out too often). Though my problem was solved in a different way a minute ago:

After plugging in my earplugs again i just realised, the balance-settings automatically change depending on which output you use. So some days ago I must have been dragging the balance-fader to the right and unplugging the speakers then the system auto-saved.

So you always have to check "System Preferences / Audio" with the plug inside the jack.

speaker jack only plays right channel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.