Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to set Software Update to ignore a particular packages?

If Software Update identifies a new version of something which I don't want to install, is there any way of making it ignore that update when it checks next time.

It's not unusual for minor updates to include no security fixes, no fixes for defects which affect me and no additional functionality. In these cases I'd rather not update but I haven't been able to find anyway to stop Software Update from prompting me to install the same version every time it checks.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 3:02 PM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2013 3:24 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for the reply.

That menu item just sets Software Update to ignore that particular version does it? I did spot it but the dialog which it opens says "You will no longer be notified of new versions of this update." which is not a very clear message but "new versions" made me think that clicking "OK" would make it ignore all future updates for the component and not just the particular version I want to skip.

Sorry, maybe my original post wasn't very clear that it I just want to skip versions I don't see a need to install, not permanently ignore certain apps/components.

Is there any way to set Software Update to ignore a particular packages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.