Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't authenticate a file transfer to Time Capsule

I just set up my Time Capsule. It is connected wirelessly to my iMac. I am trying to drag files from my iMac to the time capsule. I get the message, "Modifying ' name of time capsule' requires an administrator name and password. To move 'file name', click Authenicate. But there is no Authenticate button to click

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 10:31 AM

I found the answer to this problem.

I just spoke with someone at Apple Store, and if you use your Time Capsule with Time Machine (software) to make incremental backups of your Macbook, then you are not supposed to also use that Time Capsule as a hard drive to drag files to.

This is because if Time Machine is doing a backup, and it sees other data on the Time Capsule, then it may corrupt the backup file of your Macbook.

Basically, you would need to buy another hard drive from, say, Western Digital, or buy another Time Capsule, to use as a dedicated storage HD to drag and drop files to.

Hope this helps someone.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 10:31 AM in response to pjbeckett

I found the answer to this problem.

I just spoke with someone at Apple Store, and if you use your Time Capsule with Time Machine (software) to make incremental backups of your Macbook, then you are not supposed to also use that Time Capsule as a hard drive to drag files to.

This is because if Time Machine is doing a backup, and it sees other data on the Time Capsule, then it may corrupt the backup file of your Macbook.

Basically, you would need to buy another hard drive from, say, Western Digital, or buy another Time Capsule, to use as a dedicated storage HD to drag and drop files to.

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 1, 2017 3:01 PM in response to pjbeckett

I don't think that you can do this. You are effectively trying to drag files into the backup folder created by Time Capsule.

What you can do I believe is click on the TM=ime Capsule icon in Finder's Devices list, click Command-Shift-N which will create a new folder that you can name in the usual way and drag your files and folders to there.

That said these files will exist on their own. If you've already set TM up to back them up already it seems an unnecessary effort to me. TM is an auto-backup and once it's done it's the first one which may take some time it just does incremental backups for stuff you change along the way.

Aug 25, 2014 9:09 PM in response to lolailo

lolailo wrote:

i have the same problem... what did you do?

Manually mount the TC disk in Finder.

Use Go, Connect to server in the top menu area of finder.

Type in the address or name of the TC.

AFP://TCname.local or AFP://10.0.1.1

TCname you replace with the actual network name of the TC.. not its name with spaces and apostrophe.. network name is modified to remove these illegal naming devices. You can find the name properly in a netstat scan.. IMHO easiest to do in network utility.

But I always name stuff correctly.. ie short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric... so the name and the network name are one and the same.

Sorry this is confusing I know.

If the TC name is

Fred Blog's Airport Time Capsule

Then the network name is fred_blogs_airport_time_capsule (spaces and illegal apostrophe removed).

But it is a heck of a lot easier to name your TC.. TCgenx so the network name is the same.

You use the local domain as a help .. I find it helps especially Mavericks which is more lost than found.

BEST is to use the IP of the TC.. if it is static.. ie in router mode the default IP is what I typed.. replace with whatever it is but it must be static.

You will be asked for the password.. type in your disk access password for the TC.. and remember to save that to your keychain.

Can't authenticate a file transfer to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.