Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted videos from iPhone, but Camera Roll is still 3.1GB

I have an iPad and iPhone and I'm using iCloud for backup on both. Error messages galore that I am maxed out of my 5GB free, so I removed all of the videos from my iPhone, what was most certainly the offending data source. From my iPhone when I look at the Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage I have 2.2GB for the iPhone backup and 1.7GB for the iPad. When I go to Info for the iPhone, I see that the Camera Roll is 3.1GB (it also says next backup size is 3.1GB, although it hasn't backed that up b/c it's out of space; last backup for the iPhone was 11/27.) Everything else below Camera Roll is much smaller (Twitter 4.5MB, iBooks 3.5MB, etc.)

BUT...I currently have 153 photos and 2 videos (0:44secs & 0:15secs) on my iPhone. When I've removed the videos, I've trashed them manually on the iPhone so why does it keep saying I need 3.1GB? I used Image Capture to import the videos as needed b/c I hate the one-way aspect of iTunes controlling everything on my iPhone. I do have a full backup of both devices on my desktop Mac. To further fill in the blanks, it says I have 1.7GB on my iPad, but the iPad has only 53 photos and NO videos, yet it says the Camera Roll on that device is 1.1GB.

Help...thanks in advance!

Lee

Mac SE, P-book 160,MacMini,G3,G5,MBP, iPad, lots of boxes with lights and things, Mac OS X (10.5.8), ipad, desk, chair, lamp.....

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 8:46 PM

You say you are using iCloud for saving photos on your iPhone and iPad; Are you deleting photos from your photostream (presumably iCloud) or from your Camera Roll (Which stores on your local device)? If you are at capacity in your iCloud Storage, you need to delete the photos/videos from your photostream. If you are at capacity on the local devices you need to deleted them from your Camera Roll.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2013 8:46 PM in response to Lee Sachs

You say you are using iCloud for saving photos on your iPhone and iPad; Are you deleting photos from your photostream (presumably iCloud) or from your Camera Roll (Which stores on your local device)? If you are at capacity in your iCloud Storage, you need to delete the photos/videos from your photostream. If you are at capacity on the local devices you need to deleted them from your Camera Roll.

Dec 15, 2013 8:53 PM in response to V2Vz

I am deleting photos from the devices, specifically from the Camera Roll on the device. I am not at capacity on the local devices b/c there's plenty of space on them each (32GB on both about 75% space unused).

I have 384 photos in my Photostream (iPad) and 358 Photostream (iPhone). Clearly they are out of sync.

Also, just to clarify, Photostream is only going for photos anyway, correct? No videos.

Not sure I follow your logic, unless I'm missing something, but thanks.

Dec 15, 2013 9:16 PM in response to Lee Sachs

Also, just to clarify, Photostream is only going for photos anyway, correct? No videos.

Yes, photostream only syncs photos to iCloud.

BUT...I currently have 153 photos and 2 videos (0:44secs & 0:15secs) on my iPhone. When I've removed the videos, I've trashed them manually on the iPhone so why does it keep saying I need 3.1GB?

The reason for this is probably because you only deleted 59 seconds worth of video which is not a lot. every 1GB (or gigabytes) is equal to 1,024MB (or megabytes).

3.1GB = 3174.4MB

What this means is your video files were so small in size, they did not remove enough data from your Camera Roll in order for it to make a difference.

1GB = 1,024MB / 10 = 102.4MB

every 10th of a gigbyte is 102.4MB so your video files were likely less than that size give or take which is why you do not see a reduction in the amount of storage you need.

Does this help answer your question?

Dec 16, 2013 4:47 AM in response to V2Vz

Thanks for the details on MB or GB, but I fully understand all that.

I manually removed what were certainly much larger videos; I could see from the size of the files when they were on my Mac that they were most definitely the cause of the size problem. Then I deleted those videos from my iPhone.

What is on my iPhone now, 2 short videos, are only newer, smaller files. Simply put:

- Down here, on the device, what I can see in terms of images (video, photos) is NOT 2.2GB.

- Up in iCloud and displayed on the storage under settings for this device is something MUCH larger than what is on the iPhone.

Lee

Feb 10, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Lee Sachs

I am having the same issue and I think I have found the way to deal with it...

I also am near my limit for the 5GB free and before I pony up for the extra GB I thought I would remove the videos and a bunch of photos from my camera roll. I removed at least a GB worth but it never seemed to make a dent in the "Camera ROll Backup Size" in the "Mange Storage on this Device" setting. Even after an iCloud backup I was still struggling for space.

The solution seems to be to actually remove the camera roll backup from the iCloud (and then add it back again). Slide the switch from green to white and give it the "ok" to remove photos from the cloud. Next, step out of that menu and then step back into it and re-activate the switch to backup the camera roll to the cloud. Then, run a backup and it should free up a bunch of space and recalibrate the size of your camera roll.

Don't know why this has to be done manually - I guess the iCloud doesn't recalibrate or delete the photos it actually keeps up there without a little prodding.

This, along with the interminably long "waiting to apply changes" when syncing, is one of those issues that I'm amazed Apple hasn't addressed. It's taken them so long, in fact, that I've just come to learn to live with it.

Sep 10, 2014 12:06 AM in response to Lee Sachs

It's likely that in this case, there's a MUCH faster and simpler solution. The Videos app keeps a reference to the file it plays open even after it's done playing it, which essentially pins the file. So in this case:
1. User plays video
2. User deletes video from computer and syncs to iPhone, or just deletes from iPhone

the space will become "Other" space. The quick fix is to force-quit the Videos app (or to restart the iPhone). Then the "Other" usage will go away immediately.

Deleted videos from iPhone, but Camera Roll is still 3.1GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.