Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with a new start on new laptop

I have a new laptop and have installed my ipod and itunes from the disc but I don't know how I get all my music from the ipod to the new itunes that opens up, Help! please

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 1:38 PM

If you installed iTunes from an old physical "disc," you should go here and download the latest version of iTunes instead.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Any version of iTunes that comes on a disc would be very old, and may not work properly with WIndows 7.

For your actual question, iTunes syncing is generally in one direction, from your iTunes library to the iPod. You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on you computer's drive, you can add them to your new iTunes library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2013 1:38 PM in response to puremaagic

If you installed iTunes from an old physical "disc," you should go here and download the latest version of iTunes instead.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Any version of iTunes that comes on a disc would be very old, and may not work properly with WIndows 7.

For your actual question, iTunes syncing is generally in one direction, from your iTunes library to the iPod. You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on you computer's drive, you can add them to your new iTunes library.

Help with a new start on new laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.