Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home button unreliable on Retina iPad Mini

I've had the 32GB Retina iPad mini on Verizon for almost a month and have noticed that the Home button does not always get triggered, and have to do a double-take to make absolutely sure that I pressed it. As with previous iOS devices, I know that when I hear the Home button "click", it should be doing something.

So far, it seems to depend on how pressure is applied to the button. Applying indirect pressure to the button (not directly centered) seems less likely to trigger an action. I'd like to know if others are experiencing a similar problem.

I've already spoken to a Genius about a previous problem (iOS restarting/app crashes) and followed his advice in setting up the iPad brand new as opposed to restoring from an iCloud backup. When I also brought up the Home button issue, the Genius stated it could have something to do with software.

Not too worried now, still have the original warranty and AppleCare+. But it IS annoying.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, Retina iPad mini 32GB Verizon

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 12:20 AM

31 replies

Dec 16, 2013 9:03 AM in response to [macnn]milhous

The button is a mechanical device which is prone to wear, tear and failure. Button failure may never happen but it could happen just as well and catch you totally off-guard. I've had the Sleep/Wake button on an iPhone 4 simply stop working...the phone was never dropped nor abused. I had to pay ~$199 to get the phone replaced as it was a month or two out of warranty. For this reason, I started using the AssitiveTouch feature on all my devices. It places a floating, repositionable button on screen that mimics all hardware buttons (and then some) on the device. The only time I use a physical button on the device now is when waking it from sleep mode (on press of the Sleep/Wake or the Home button). I figure the less I use the physical buttons, the longer the device may last in the long run. You may need to get used to it but once you do, constantly pressing/double-clicking the Home button while the device is on will be a thing of the past.

Settings>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch

Also since the device is new and still under warrany, you can take it to the Genius Bar and have it replaced if there is an actual hardware defect (defects happen). Personally, this is what I would do and get the issue resolved rather than relying on a band-aid fix. Even then, I would still personally use AssitiveTouch as mentioned above.

Dec 16, 2013 9:29 AM in response to [macnn]milhous

Also try a Home button recalibration:

* Calibrate Home button:

1. Open a stock app on the device like Calendar or Weather

2. With the stock app open, press the Sleep/Wake button at the top of the device until the red slider control appears. As soon as you see it, press the home button and keep it held down until the red slider disappears.

3. The Home button should now be calibrated

Dec 18, 2013 10:23 AM in response to SergZak

Tried the technique but no difference. It's almost as if the button has to be "warmed up" for use because when I wake up in the morning, I have to press the Home button 3-4 times to get the lock screen. Granted, I may not pressing the button exactly the same way each time, but it's strange that nothing happens. Is this an actual Apple-provided solution, or just through experimentation? I was never aware that the Home button was pressure-sensitive.

Dec 18, 2013 10:34 AM in response to [macnn]milhous

[macnn]milhous wrote:

Is this an actual Apple-provided solution, or just through experimentation? I was never aware that the Home button was pressure-sensitive.

I don't really know. I Googled it briefly to see if I could find an official Apple link to the Home button calibration procedure but just ended up finding other sites that outline the process. One is from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57373687-263/fix-home-button-delays-on-ios- devices/

If someone out there has an official Apple link to this Home button calibration process, please share.

Jan 28, 2014 10:02 AM in response to [macnn]milhous

Hi [macn]mikhous,

Did you get your home button issue resolved? I have exactly the same problem with my new ipad mini retina device, especially the 3x push routine to wake up the ipad.

A system restore did not help, and when I brought to Genius Bar for replacement, of course the button worked reliably again and the understandable Apple Crew could not help me without witnessing firsthand. quite annoying.

Feb 19, 2014 12:57 PM in response to [macnn]milhous

Yes. Same here. I noticed the difference as I also have an ipad mini non-retina and my new ipad mini retina. I thought it was just me but kept urking me. I notice that if I don't press it a specific way, it doesn't work 3 out of 5 times. Could this be a tiny bug in the code? Perhaps its a code/hardware bug combination. I don't experience it on the ipad mini non-retina and it is on iOS7.

I just purchased the ipad mini retina in early February 2014. I'll keep an eye on it with the following updates and this thread.

Home button unreliable on Retina iPad Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.