Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has my internal hard drive failed?

Hi all

This morning I put a firmware password onto my MBP to make sure my kids couldn't access single user mode and recovery mode. This seemed to work fine and I tested it by holding down option, and indeed it asked me for the firmware password. So far so good. I then booted up normally and went into my administrator account. After I had logged in I got asked for the password for some of my 'keychains'. My administrator password didn't work for some reason, so I just pressed cancel. I then got the spinning rainbow wheel and OSX locked up.

I hard reset, but now my hard drive appears to have failed. On start up I get the folder with the question mark. When going into recovery mode the hard disk is invisible or gone. I can only see super disk and the 'base recovery HD'.

I read some other threads and it seems like my internal HD has died, or the cable has died or something along those lines. But it seems very strange that this occurred right when I did the firmware password, and then went into my admin account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next? I have my hard drive backed up but don't want to buy a new HD unless I really have to (not much money to spend on a new HD). I have a feeling it just got corrupted somehow.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), mid-2010

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 4:22 AM

Have you tried using the original installation disk to access the internal HDD and repair it?

Ciao.

10 replies

Dec 16, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Seb NZ

The HDD may be dead or the connection may be faulty. If you can remove the internal HDD, place it in an enclosure and see if it will boot the MBP, that would indicate that the connection is the problem. If it does not boot the MBP, then the HDD is indeed dead.

You can also run an Apple Hardware Test which will test if the connection is faulty. If it develops an error, the the connection has to be restored. If no errors are developed, then it only suggests that the HDD is the problem. The inherent problem with the AHT is that a no error result is not always reliable.

You may have to make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free and definitive diagnosis.

Ciao.

Has my internal hard drive failed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.