Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to trash anything. Error -43 Can anyone advise?

As the title says I am unable to trash anything.

The pop up warning says: The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.

(Error code -43) Which on checking is: File not found; Folder not found; Edition container not found; Target not found

The items I was trying to trash are on the desktop.

It started today when I was trashing some video clips downloaded from my Sony video camera. I was able to trash some other files from the same folder but then it all stopped.

The trash is empty.

I have 99GB left out of 500GB and wanted to move/delete a load of files to make more space.

I have checked and repaired permissions

I have verified the disk OK

I use Time machine for the Mac and have all my media on external HDs backed up to Ext HDs with Carbon Copy

Can anyone help

Mavericks

Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Henry

Numbers V3-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 6:47 AM

20 replies

May 6, 2017 3:22 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yo - That article helped me out. I'm fixed! - Thanks!

I referred to: 'Empty and recreate an account's Trash'

I knew I had to do something in Terminal...because that's what caused the issue in the first place...for me anyway. Originally, I was trying to force delete an old back up, but there was simpler way to do that rather than using Terminal.

May 12, 2017 11:38 AM in response to Aitchb65

I was trying to Trash a File that was filled with 20gb of stuff. I couldn't trash any part of it. What worked was: (1) I moved the file from where it was situated to the Desktop. Then when I (2) tried to move it to the Trash (some Magic occurred in another dimension apparently) it would go into the Trash. I then (3) Emptied the Trash. Stupid. Really.

I tried all the other stuff I've seen mentioned elsewhere that really looked smart to me. Sorry. Only something really stupid worked for me. But, that's how my Life always is it seems...so, my method probably won't work for anyone else.

Jul 23, 2017 12:28 AM in response to Aitchb65

Had the exact same problem, but found a better solution than to have to boot into recovery mode, which could go very wrong if you don't have a backup of your computer, like myself.

- open Activity Monitor

- quit all processes it will let you (some things can't be forced to shut down.)

- try deleting your things again

I'm no tech expert and I have no idea what I did but it worked lol, had two totally blank files named "?" in my desktop and was able to delete them after weeks.

Sep 30, 2017 7:51 AM in response to Aitchb65

I've experienced this a number of times, most recently on Sierra (10.12.6).

Normally, a reboot fixes it. I suspect folks that go through Disk Utility and Disk First Aid are mostly benefiting from the reboot that is required. However, I recently did go through "First Aid" in Disk Utility from a Recovery Boot.

However, in reading this thread, I did attempt the following:

* Unmounted all volumes, other than the main "Macintosh HD" -- Did not help

* Quit Finder -- Did not help

That's when I saw that someone else mentioned Paragon's NTFS Driver.

I too am running Paragon's "ExtFS for Mac" version 11. I'm now curious if the issue is actually the additional drivers that are installed to recognize these other volumes (I have a BOOTCAMP volume (NTFS) as well as two Linux (ext3) volumes on my internal SSD).

Just thought I'd call that out in case people experiencing this are also running additional file system drivers.

-Rob

Dec 16, 2013 1:16 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 I did!

What I didn't say was that I had read this article before and it makes no reference to the problem where "file not found" is the error.

It talks about:

Forcing the trash to empty.

Files that are not locked

Locked files in the trash

Files in use by other aplications

Insufficient permissions

Incomplete Internet Downloads

Files that delete immediately when trashed

and Immutable files.

I have none of these problems.

I could try each step but I do not like the idea of following their suggestions to repair a fault that is not described.

It does not address the problem where you cannot move any file to the trash.

Dec 17, 2013 2:33 AM in response to Aitchb65

UPDATE.

Strange things happening: First, before the error that I described above, Libre Office started playing up, getting stuck etc. Then iMovies was being very slow. I saw that I had only 99/500GB left so that's when I decided to delete some unwanted stuff on the iMac and at first I could move to trash except some Sony video files (as above) and empty the trash. Now Numbers and an HP scan program have big question marks on the dock bar.

Time machine now shows no backups (all black) and trying to do a full back up to a reformatted 2TB ExHD TM is stuck on preparing backup.

I have checked the other Time Machine backup HD on another Mac and all seems to be there so doing a new backup is probably not such a good idea as the "problem" might be included!

Sounds like my Mac is ill and the poison is spreading!!!

So if this TM backup fails to start I'll do as suggested.

Dec 17, 2013 3:20 AM in response to Aitchb65

Rebooted in Recovery mode. Used Repair disk. Volume appears OK.

Checked permissions next and had -Warning: SUID file "system/library/CoreServices/ remotemanegment/ARDAgent.app/contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

?

Rebooted in normal mode.

Trash behaving correctly both in and out.

Seems to be OK now

Thanks very much and have a great Xmas.

Henry

Oct 7, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Aitchb65

Thanks a lot, Aitchb65 and Linc Davis

I had the exact same problem, and recovery mode did the trick for me as well. (I'm running Mavericks, latest version)

Did both Repair Disk & Repair Permissions, not sure which one helped, but the issue is gone now. Maybe it's worth mentioning that I also had the same warning

Warning: SUID file "system/library/CoreServices/ remotemanegment/ARDAgent.app/contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

cheerz, =A=C=

Apr 27, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Aitchb65

I just encountered this problem too. I had just copied a large amount of large files to an external NTFS-formatted drive (I've installed the Paragon NTFS driver). I then tried to delete the source files and got the infamous error. Every attempt to trash a file failed with that error.

However, I managed to solve it by just ejecting my external drive. After that I was able to delete files again! Maybe Paragon contains a bug? Or maybe it's just a 'feature' of OSX?

Unable to trash anything. Error -43 Can anyone advise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.