Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight camera present but not working

System Report lists the camera but it's X'd out

in FaceTime and not present in Skype. After

re-setting NVRAM it appeared briefly then

vanished. Some advise re-setting the SMC

but Apple's own KB didn't support that.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 6:41 AM

7 replies

Dec 16, 2013 9:55 AM in response to Tom Meade1

(1) Use  > Software Update... to be sure all your Apple software is up to date.

(2) Download and apply the latest version of Skype that is compatible with your system.

(3) Try all relevant suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

Be sure to test more than one app in more than one user account.

(4) If the problem continues, apply (or re-apply) the latest OS X 10.7 Combo Update.

For your Mac OS X (10.7.5) use this Combo Update.

If you don't have a preferred workflow for updating, here's how I do it.

Use your Mac's Disk Utility to repair permissions.

Then download and apply http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582

Repair permissions again immediately following the system restart that completes the Combo update.

Properly applying the Combo version of updates can sometimes correct software problems.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

Dec 16, 2013 3:03 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thank you - I followed all steps religiously (for

this is our faith, no?) to no avail. FaceTime

and PhotoBooth still show no camera or X'd

out. System Report shows what I think is a

camera but I'm gettting no love. Does it seem

like a software issue that can be remedied

and does the Genius have methods beyond

what we've done here? Thanks for the support.

Tom

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Tom Meade1

Tom Meade1 wrote:... I followed all steps...

Good. Having eliminated several of the easiest things, we will try the next (more time consuming) things that may resolve your problem.

Tom Meade1 wrote: ... this is our faith, no?...

Not mine, no.

Tom Meade1 wrote:... System Report shows what I think is a camera...

You are correct that your SR report shows that your Mac recognized its inbuilt camera.

Tom Meade1 wrote:... Does it seem like a software issue that can be remedied...

Yes.

Tom Meade1 wrote:... does the Genius have methods beyond what we've done here?...

Yes. The Geniuses have access to proprietary Special Tools, Test Equipment, and Technical Data that allow them to fix things beyond what us users can do. That is why, if all else fails, or if you don't want to take the time to continue trying to resolve this yourself, I suggest you contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

Tom Meade1 wrote:... FaceTime and PhotoBooth still show no camera or X'd out...

Because more than one up-to-date app fails in more than one user account, your Mac's system software may be damaged. The remedy for this is to reinstall OS X. Regardless of the reinstall method you use, backup your Mac before you reinstall OS X.

If your Mac shipped with OS X 10.7, you can use the backup installer that came with your Mac. Then apply the 10.7.5 Combo Update to return to the latest version in one update step. I recommend that you repair permissions before and after installing and updating.

If you do not have a 10.7.x installer, you can use the Lion Recovery HD method Kappy explains in http://discussions.apple.com/thread/3531813.

After reinstalling, test again using the How to Troubleshoot iSight method.

If the problem continues in more than one app and more than one user account, the only remaining thing I know that might remedy the problem is to zero your startup disk and do a clean install of your Apple software. If iSight works then, you know that some other software was causing a conflict. This is a time consuming process that I described in this topic: http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4018234?answerId=18614637022#18614637022. (You will use the current 10.7.5 Combo Update vs. the 10.7.4 version that was current at the time of the referenced post.)

If none of the things recommended to this point resolve your iSight problem, the only remaining suggestion I can offer is tocontact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

Tom Meade1 wrote:... Is a required to activate iSight?

No.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

Dec 17, 2013 8:38 AM in response to Tom Meade1

I suggest you try trashing some .plist files.

To do this: with Finder active, hold the Option key down and click the Go menu.

Select Library in the drop down.

In Library, open Preferences.

In the Preferences folder look for and trash:

com.skype.skype.plist,

also any files that begin com.apple.facetime ....

and finally com.apple.PhotoBooth.plist

Only one of these files might be corrupted, but since there is no danger in trashing a .plist, just trash all of them and restart the computer.

Dec 17, 2013 9:14 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

I intend to do that, Eustace - thanks. I also respect EZ Jim's process

and will get to that after the holidays. He's confirming that it's a

software issue and I don't doubt that his massive fix would be effective.

If, as he's suggesting, some software is conflicting with another item

then for the moment I'm going to review those items that were installed

immediately preceding the onset of the camera problem. For now I'm

using an external cam but Iwill pursue this and update the thread.

iSight camera present but not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.