Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPod Click Wheel Adapter

Hi, I have a U2 Ipod Click Wheel and will not work recently. I have tried to reset it but no joy. Then i tried to Restore it via the details on apple but it asks for me to connect to a wall adapter. Ive tried a current plug with USB cable but it will not work. I have the original adapter but no cable (it is a curved USB-type cable for the adapter). Anyone suggest something?Thanks

iPod classic

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 7:31 AM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Henno1981

That is probably a 4th gen iPod U2 special edition. For the 4th gen iPod, if you are using USB (not FireWire) to connect it to the computer, as the last step of the Restore process, you need to connect it to an Apple USB power adapter. It has something to do with voltage, and the USB port on the computer does not provide it.

NOTE: If your computer is a Mac, and it has a FireWire port (and you have a FireWire docking cable), when you do the Restore over FireWire, there is no step to connect it to an Apple power adapter. FireWire apparently provides the right voltage.

I have the original adapter but no cable

Is that because that original power adapter is for use with a FireWire cable? I don't understand the part about "a curved USB-type cable for the adapter."

If you are using USB, you need to connect it to an Apple USB power adapter. If you don't want to get one, and there is an Apple Store nearby, maybe you can take your iPod there, and connect it to one of their power adapters to get passed that step in the Restore.

IPod Click Wheel Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.