Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Shuffle (2nd generation) won't stay mounted/connected to new (nov 2013) macbook pro (os 10.9)

Shuffle works fine on older macbook I'm replacing as well as my work laptop (pc), so it doesn't appear to be anything wrong w/ my ipod shuffle or usb dock/cable connection. Ipod shuffle is synced w/ my new laptop (put everything over to it via Timemachine). Itunes on the new mabook (the one I'm having the mounting/connectivity issue with) works fine syncing my ipod touch and 2 different iphones (3gs and 4g). Itunes seems 100% functional except for this ipod shuffle issue.

When I physically plug in the ipod shuffle it takes it a long time to mount (if it mounts at all). Sometimes my macbook freezes for a couple of seconds. I note that the led on the shuffle is quite erradic. Once mounted, it only stays connected for a few seconds before saying that I did not eject the disk properly. If I try to put any music on it during that time it will immediately complain that I improperly ejected the disk. The firmware on the ipod is up to date (1.0.4). I managed to keep it connected long enough to do an ipod restore, though that has only erased the music on the shuffle and the problem keeps persisting. Computer is 2 weeks old and all updates have been run.

Appears to be an issue with the new mac hardware or most recent itunes software or both.

"Disk Not Ejected Properly" and "Attempting to copy to the disk "IPOD" failed. The disk could not be read from or written to."

Any thoughts or suggestions? This thing is in great shape and I'd really prefer not to replace it having just spent $3k on a new macbook!

Cheers,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Ipod shuffle 2nd gen (1.0.4) issue

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 12:27 PM

Thanks for providing complete information. It seems like you've ruled out faulty docking cable, bad USB port, and software issue on the new Mac. And since the shuffle still works fine on the older Mac, it's not a problem on the shuffle.

Some things to try...

Connect the MacBook to its power adapter, so that it's not running the battery power. If any other USB devices are connected, try connecting the shuffle as the only device, to a direct USB port on the MacBook.

If you can keep it connected for long enough, go to the shuffle's Settings screen in iTunes and set it to Enable disk use (and Apply). This will keep the shuffle's disk mounted continuously, instead of iTunes unmounting the shuffle's disk when not syncing.

If you happen to have an old USB 2.0 hub that has its own power supply, connect the shuffle through the hub to see if that make any difference. The new Macs have USB 3.0, so if that's the cause, maybe a USB 2.0 hub in between can act as a "buffer" and make it work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2013 12:27 PM in response to st2eelpot

Thanks for providing complete information. It seems like you've ruled out faulty docking cable, bad USB port, and software issue on the new Mac. And since the shuffle still works fine on the older Mac, it's not a problem on the shuffle.

Some things to try...

Connect the MacBook to its power adapter, so that it's not running the battery power. If any other USB devices are connected, try connecting the shuffle as the only device, to a direct USB port on the MacBook.

If you can keep it connected for long enough, go to the shuffle's Settings screen in iTunes and set it to Enable disk use (and Apply). This will keep the shuffle's disk mounted continuously, instead of iTunes unmounting the shuffle's disk when not syncing.

If you happen to have an old USB 2.0 hub that has its own power supply, connect the shuffle through the hub to see if that make any difference. The new Macs have USB 3.0, so if that's the cause, maybe a USB 2.0 hub in between can act as a "buffer" and make it work.

Ipod Shuffle (2nd generation) won't stay mounted/connected to new (nov 2013) macbook pro (os 10.9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.