Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture 3.5.1 - unsupported image format - suddenly

hello, i'm a full-time aperture user - i do everything with aperture and some plugins, everything comes straight off a nikon d4, d800 or a d7000 directly into aperture and i work from there.

suddenly, out of the blue after years of no problems, i'm randomly getting the black background, grey triangle, 'unsupported image format' problem at random in my libraries.

images will be there one minute, then suddenly turn to this annoying, useless block - some on images i've already begun editing.

i fail to see how this is possible - i rebuilt my library and it seemed to stop happening for a few minutes, now it's back again.

i've done nothing, to change my system - i'm on auto updates so i'm not sure when it upgraded to 3.5.1

i've avoided adobe for years, but i see no other choice but having to move to lightroom if i can't rely on aperture to work properly.

any suggestions??

cheers

iain

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 8:13 AM

Are you presently opening your library (or libraries) only with Aperture 3.5.1? There can be some strangeness with respect to when Digital Camera Raw 5.01 was installed.

Rather than rebuilding, pick one of these images and command to Reprocess Original -- let us know what results.

Also, read the discussion at the link below for any similarity:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5662196?answerId=24123687022#24123687022

Ernie

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2013 8:13 AM in response to iainstatham

Are you presently opening your library (or libraries) only with Aperture 3.5.1? There can be some strangeness with respect to when Digital Camera Raw 5.01 was installed.

Rather than rebuilding, pick one of these images and command to Reprocess Original -- let us know what results.

Also, read the discussion at the link below for any similarity:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5662196?answerId=24123687022#24123687022

Ernie

Dec 16, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

thanks ernie - i'll go through that, just incredibly frustrating since it's always worked perfectly for me.

i'm using nothing but aperture 3.5.1 - i use some nik plugins sometimes and am unsure just now if there is any correlation to having processed images with that. seemingly it is random at the moment - newly imported raw files, edited files just in aperture and images with some plugin work - some files of each all suddenly becoming unsupported.

(maybe after years and years of resistance i finally need to teach myself photoshop?!)

Dec 16, 2013 10:55 AM in response to iainstatham

I am as confident as I can be that the upgrades in DCR versions can cause such issues in such as Nik software, just as it caused the issues I described in that thread. Having 3.4.5 without update of the DCR declare an image to be Unsupported, then having 3.5.1 with the latest DCR declare the same following opening that same library.

You should check the Nik website for updates they may be doing, and endeavor to have nothing out-of-sync in that regard.

Ernie

Dec 16, 2013 11:52 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

Nik just released an update...hopefully for Mavericks support. It appears to be fixing some of the forum user's issues so far.

See: https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/4400822?hl=en&ref_topic=3001406

Release Notes

Updates to the Nik Collection are made on an ongoing basis. These updates may include bug fixes, performance enhancements, new features and additional hardware or software support. All updates will be installed to the computer automatically.

Version 1.109 - December 11, 2013

Dec 17, 2013 12:35 AM in response to firstlaunch

thanks guys - i'll get some time today to go through your advice in detail and hopefully get it sorted.

it's just so frustrating as it doesn't seem to be directly linked to one thing or another - not just newly imported files, or newly edited files or files i've just use nik plugins on...just a random 'this file is now unsupported even though you were fine working on it two minutes ago'!!

which leads me to believe that Ernie's DCR suggestions must be the likely cause....

we'll see.

thanks for your help and suggestions.

iain

Dec 17, 2013 2:38 AM in response to iainstatham

I've noticed something similar (although I blame the 3.5.1 update instead of DCR). Some plugins (notably NIK, but there have been reports on the net that Photomatix has the same problem) result in Aperture forgetting it supports certain Raw formats. The only fix is a restart of Aperture (followed by reprocessing if it doesn't automatically recognize the images again).

Dec 17, 2013 5:47 PM in response to iainstatham

Another one here for the same issues! Both nik software and photomatix plugins causing grief on latest aperture. I'm finding with photomatix that I get the "unsupported format" message and whenever I do anything with nik plugins I lose any previews that I had, pretty much renders aperture useless. Restarting aperture seems to fix this though. Bit of a pain really.

Dec 26, 2013 7:48 AM in response to iainstatham

Hi,

I have the same problem as well. Some RAW files are read bu others not. All software is up to date. With OS X previeuw the image can be viewed, but that might be the generated jpeg inside the RAW that is showed. But the fact that OS X Preview van read that file tell's me that the problem resides in Aperture.

For some reason, switching between libraries solved the problem for me at the moment it happend.

With kind regards, Dennis

Jan 2, 2014 2:38 PM in response to iainstatham

Even more puzzling!

I was experiencing the same problem as eveyone else here, so I decided to follow Johannes suggestion and Reprocess my defective images, only two so far. So, opened the specific Project and clicked on the defective image ... the dead came back from afterlife!!! Opened it ... and here it is, strong and sound, like nothing ever happened.

OsX 10.9.1, Aperture 3.5.1

aperture 3.5.1 - unsupported image format - suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.