Skip navigation

Computer scams

653 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:34 PM by BDAqua RSS
Dylanmusic Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 16, 2013 9:47 AM

Recently my mother who is 90 was a victim of a computer scam. She was told on the phone that

she had to type in certain things into the computer and then pay $499 to prevent it from crashing.

She didn't give them her password but she did type in somethings which she doesn't remember

but I suspect that the hackers who claimed to be from Microsoft in India may now be able to control

her computer remotely. I have been receiving spam e-mails from her e-mail address but she hasn't

initiated any of the e-mails. She has a Gateway Intel computer and I have a MAC. Is my computer

vulnerable to any viruses that may come from her computer? What kind of technical help should she

seek in order to get rid of her present problem? I assume the hackers will send spam to all of the

people in her book. Luckily she didn't give them any financial info and doesn't do any online banking

but I I guess if she ever used a credit card to buy something, that can be picked up by the hackers.

Although she didn't give them her password, should she have her password changed? Any advice

would be greatly appreciated.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,715 points)
    Dec 16, 2013 10:13 AM (in response to Dylanmusic)

Yes, to be safe, have her change all her passwords.

Not likely you will be infected, but spam of course usually contains malware.

Sounds like maybe she gave them her email, or username, or such?

Tough to tell if they got into her computer or not, did/does she have really good passwords? I recently read that about 50% of users had one of 20 common passwords.

Did they have her download anything? Was there any notice on her end of them controlling her computer?

http://articles.philly.com/2013-09-24/news/42326712_1_computer-tech-virus-phone- number

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (43,375 points)
    Dec 16, 2013 10:16 AM (in response to Dylanmusic)

Sadly such scams are becoming all too common. They can also arrive by email, in which case:

Learn how to identify fraudulent "phishing" email:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4933?viewlocale=en_US

How to report phishing scams to Apple:

via email to:  reportphishing@apple.com

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,010 points)
    Dec 16, 2013 11:15 AM (in response to Dylanmusic)

This is one of the many reasons posting your e-mail in a public place is highly discouraged.  The spammers and phishers look through search engines for valid e-mail addresses, and spoof them as the sender.

Dec 16, 2013 6:33 PM (in response to Dylanmusic)

Hmmm, do you think it was a URL she typed in? Any idea how many numbers it was?

Norton isn't going to cover all problems, but has she run a scan since then?

Did everybody in her addressbook start getting spam?  If so they may have gotten in, did she have File Sharing or screen sharing enabled?

Dec 16, 2013 11:29 PM (in response to Dylanmusic)

Ah, I see, but not heard any really good things about Geek Squad myself.

• Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (36,585 points)
    Dec 17, 2013 5:59 AM (in response to Dylanmusic)

In the past month I have gotten about 15 phone calls from those people.  Sometimes when I tell them I have a Mac they shut up, often they don't seem to get what a Mac is and persist in telling me my computer is cuaing problems on the Internet. If you ask them what it is doing they cant/don't seem able to tell you specifics.  I once let asked them what they wanted me to do.  They told me to hold down my Windows key and some other.  I told them I couldn't see a Windows key.  They said looks in the lower left (or something).  I said I still couldn't see one but I saw one with an Apple on it.  They finally got the message but I still get calls from them at least once a week.  It's probably some robo dialing system that cycles through phone numbers 000 000-0000 on.  Now my politeness patience is at an end and I just hang up on them (once I got an immediate call-back; they just don't learn).

Do a web search for "India your computer is causing problems on the Internet" or something like that and you'll many others getting these calls.  Probably nothing legally can be done about them since the Do Not Call lists are not international.  What they do is have you download some quite legal remote log-in software so they can "repair" your computer.  One person just to see what would happen let them into his (PC) computer. He said he then annoyed the callers by turning them down at the last minute when they asked for upfront payment ($200 as you said).  That made them mad and he said he watched as system files started disappearing and eventually one network critical on was deleted and he was kicked offline.

If they were let into a computer I would wipe the whole thing.

I get very few calls so I can say 40% of  my last month's calls came from India and another 40% came from "Rachel" saying she had a very important message from Cardholder services about my credit card being in good condition but it was important I talk to them about a valuable opportunity to reduce my interest rates....

• rccharles Level 5 Level 5 (5,150 points)
    Dec 17, 2013 3:16 PM (in response to Dylanmusic)

Sometimes ... it's easier to re-install windows.

It was a scam.  Microsoft doesn't call people up.  I've had to hang up on two of these folks.  You get more trusting as you get older.  You want to be helpful to others.

The spam might be coming from the neighbors email list.

Don't worry much about your mac.  There are not many if any in the wild mac malware.  You won't be able to run the windows stuff.

I'd advise the neighbor to re-install windows.  Call the credit card company and see if they can cancel the payment.  Say it was fraud.

Could have been a web address. Holding down control then pressing enter puts you into a new browser window. Could have been a bunch of numbers to get around web blocking.  Instruct her to always call you before accepting any advice about her computer.  My parents at one time had an idea that they should follow the advice of their isp on upgrading there machine.  The advice was about Windows when they had a mac.

Robert

• John Galt Level 7 Level 7 (33,065 points)
    Dec 18, 2013 11:31 AM (in response to Limnos)

One person just to see what would happen let them into his (PC) computer.

Here's the story:

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-gu y-get-mad-and-trash-pc/

It's entertaining, or tragic, depending on one's perspective.

(Aside to Dylanmusic): There is no reason the same exact scam can't be perpetrated on a gullible Mac user.

Dec 18, 2013 5:34 PM (in response to John Galt)

Thanks John, interesting read!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.