4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2013 7:59 AM by Radio Engineer
1macprincess! Level 1 Level 1

I'm at a loss. I've not had any issues with this drive, til recently. It's a Lacie d2Quadra v3. I can't get it to eject properly, nor when i tried to move the data back onto my internal to re-save to a different ehd, it just stalls.

hope this is enough info for someone to help

thanks in advance!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Using EHD to store Aperture/iphoto
Reply by Eustace Mendis on Dec 16, 2013 3:50 PM Helpful

Try this:

Run Disk Utility (in Applications / Utilities). In the left hand column, select the external drive, then the First aid tab, and click Repair Disk.

When that is done, click Repair Permissions.

Quit DU.

Reply by Radio Engineer on Dec 22, 2013 7:59 AM Helpful

I consistently have this problem with EHD's.  It appears to be a problem when the EHD spins down and the OS (10.9.1) gets unhappy waiting for the EHD to spin back up.  The only cure I have found is to restart the computer which will release the OS and the EHD and make everything happy again.  Apple needs to take a look at this problem.

I have a couple of ThunderBolt SSD EHD and I never have this problem with them as they never sleep.  You just can't get sufficient size and they are very expensive.

All replies

• 1macprincess! Level 1 Level 1

sorry..tried to edit my OS to Mavericks 10.9, but it wouldn't take, so i'm doing it here.

• Eustace Mendis Level 7 Level 7

Try this:

Run Disk Utility (in Applications / Utilities). In the left hand column, select the external drive, then the First aid tab, and click Repair Disk.

When that is done, click Repair Permissions.

Quit DU.

• 1macprincess! Level 1 Level 1

hi eustace-thanks for the info. i had already run DU, but not on the ehd, just my imac. i need to set up reminders to do this regularly, as there was a lot of repairs.

at any rate, i completely disconnected the ehd after shutting down my computer, reattached, and everything seems to be in working order now. i did go ahead and try your suggestion, however, DU said it appears "ok", so go figure?

thanks again

• Radio Engineer Level 1 Level 1

I consistently have this problem with EHD's.  It appears to be a problem when the EHD spins down and the OS (10.9.1) gets unhappy waiting for the EHD to spin back up.  The only cure I have found is to restart the computer which will release the OS and the EHD and make everything happy again.  Apple needs to take a look at this problem.

I have a couple of ThunderBolt SSD EHD and I never have this problem with them as they never sleep.  You just can't get sufficient size and they are very expensive.