Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to export photos from iPhoto, to external HD, maintaining keywords?

I'm exporting photos to my external hard drive from iPhoto version '09 (8.1.2). (Mountain Lion 10.8.5)

Most of my photos have their original file names, i.e., IMG_1234 .

However, I've given batches of photos "keywords" .

When exporting, I have checked "include titles and keywords".

*I did a test and exported a few photos, but the keywords are not showing when using inspector.

**Also, if there is a way to export and retain the keyword(s), is there a way to search by keyword, later?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 12:39 PM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Cåts

what "inspector" - that is not a standard Mac application

And no matter to search on Keyword you need to have the photos in a photo program that understands Keywords - file programs like the finder have not idea what a keyword is

What exactly is your goal? and what exact software do you want to use to accomplish it?

LN

Dec 16, 2013 1:06 PM in response to LarryHN

When I open a photo (in preview for example), it's Preview>Tools>Show Inspector.

If I understand you correctly, then Keywords (and titles, etc) are only useable in iPhoto, correct?

As I said, my intention is to export my photos to my external HD.

(To save photos into a folder that will go on my External HD but maintain the keywords/titles, if possible).

Dec 16, 2013 1:40 PM in response to Cåts

As I said, my intention is to export my photos to my external HD.

(To save photos into a folder that will go on my External HD but maintain the keywords/titles, if possible).

Ok - the way to do that is to export checking the appropriate export options - descriptions are in the user tip on exporting - https://discussions.apple.com/community/ilife/iphoto?view=documents

To verify import one or two into ipHoto and verify that the keywords are there

It looked like you kept adding other requirements in later posts like keyword searched on the photos -

LN

Dec 16, 2013 2:00 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the link.

Yes, the keywords are still there on the photos that I've exported and then imported back to iPhoto.

For some reason, I was under the impression that when I exported the Event (with photos that include keywords), that the Keywords would also be useable. Apparently, that is not the case.The keywords only show if the photos are re-imported into iPhoto.

Sorry for the confusion about keywords searched on the photos. I was hoping that once exported, I could still search by keyword on my External Hard Drive Folder...apparently that is not the case.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2013 7:57 PM in response to LarryHN

Just thought I'd follow up. The reason I wanted to use the keywords is because in iPhoto, when I give certain photos keywords, they all group in a certain order. I was hoping to retain that order by using keywords when I exported.

I ended up going to the album that I wanted to export (with the photos in the same order). I guess I should have worded my question differently, asking "how do I retain the manual sequence of photos in an album when exporting". (when I used the keywords on photos, it put them in a certain order, or sequence. That is what I wanted to retain- the sequence. ) Again, sorry for the confusion.

It appears that in order to retain the sequence of my photos in an iPhoto album at export, I have to simply

go to the Album that I want to export.

Then, File>Export>

where it says File Name- in the drop down menu, I hit >sequential

then

prefix for sequential> type in the EXACT name of album to be exported.

All the photos are exported in the exact order as they are in the iPhoto album.

*Even though I can not use the keywords, I can still have the photos in that album in the sequence that they were in when I applied keywords to them, thereby keeping my manually arranged photos in the album the way I want them to be.

Again, I do appreciate your taking the time to try to help me and you did teach me some new things. Thank you.

*** In retrospect, I wish I could change the question to "how to export photos from iPhoto in sequence".

Message was edited by: rockeeeeeee

Is there a way to export photos from iPhoto, to external HD, maintaining keywords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.