Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get Pages to use Text to Speech in Mavericks?

Hello

Text to speach works fine in Safari and Notes, but not in Pages. What am I doing wrong

Ted

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 12:46 PM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2013 12:57 PM in response to TXShwartz

From Apple's knowledgebase:

OS X Mavericks: Hear your Mac speak text

If you have trouble reading text on your screen, you can have your Mac speak text that’s on the screen when you press a key or set of keys.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Dictation & Speech, then click Text to Speech.
  2. Select the “Speak selected text when the key is pressed” checkbox.By default, speaking is enabled when you press Option-Esc. To choose a different key, click Change Key, press one or more modifier keys (Command, Shift, Option, or Control) together with another key, then click OK.
  3. To have your Mac start speaking, press the specified key. To stop the speaking, press the key again.If text is selected when you press the key, the selected text is spoken. Otherwise, available text items in the current window are spoken; for example, if Mail is the current window, an email message is read. If no text items are available, you hear a beep.

You can also use VoiceOver, the spoken interface for OS X, to hear descriptions of every item on the screen and to control your Mac using the keyboard.

Peter

Dec 16, 2013 5:26 PM in response to TXShwartz

Mavericks 10.9.1 and Pages v5.0.1

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. Click + sign to add a specific application, in this instance Pages v5.01, from the pop down Application list.

Menu Title: Start Speaking

Keyboard Shortcut: Your choice, I chose command+7.

Click Add. Exit from System Preferences. Click inside your Pages v5.01 document to give it focus. Press command+7 and listen to the computer voice. Your text need not be selected.

Forget about Dictation & Speech settings for Page v5, unless you want to change the voice.

How do i get Pages to use Text to Speech in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.