Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD", because this disk cannot be used to start up your computer

I have a macbook pro with snow leopard on it. I am giving it away to a family members, but would like to erase the disk before giving it away. When I put my snow leopard dvd in, and click "install", I get a screen asking me to select the hard drive to install on. When I click the only one listed: "Macintosh HD", I get the message:

Mac OS X cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD", because this disk cannot be used to start your computer

If I try to boot from the dvd, my mac just hangs on the gray screen that shows the apple logo. Basically I put the dvd in, shut down the computer, when I turn it on, I hold the "C" key, and it just hangs.

How should I go about erasing everything on the computer, and re-installing the OS, I just want it to look like it did when it came from the factory. Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I lost my original install dvd, so I called Apple and asked for a replacement, they charged me $20 and sent the Snow Leopard disk that I am using as my replacement.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 2:35 PM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2013 2:50 PM in response to CincinnatiKid1985

It's possible you got a disk from Apple you can't use. What you should have gotten were gray disks based on the Mac's serial number so you would get disks which were identical to the ones it came with.

If the disk you received has a picture of a Snow Leopard on it, then they sent you a 10.6.3 retail disk, which will not have any of the bundled iLife apps on it.

Much more important is the point release. If your Mac originally came with 10.6.4 or some later point release of Snow Leopard, then 10.6.3 will not install on that Mac. The necessary hardware drivers are not on the retail disk.

Mac OS X cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD", because this disk cannot be used to start up your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.