Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I unlock an ATT iPhone 5s??

Can I unlock my ATT iPhone 5S? My company bought me an iPhone 5S back in October and recently had to lay me off. They let me keep my phone though. I want to try Straight Talk using this phone (if possible). A friend of mine paid like $10 on Canal street in manhattan to get her phone unlocked and she signed up for ST and she says the service is fine, so I want to give it a try, too. I found the "online request" link in another thread on the forum and it takes me to an ATT page to request the unlock access for my phone (or however you say it) but I get a message saying you can't unlock this device at this time. Any thoughts on this? I'd pay the $10 but it'll be a $100+ day anyway if I have to go into NYC.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 2:37 PM

10 replies

Dec 16, 2013 4:03 PM in response to roaminggnome

Ok I get it - you're not supposed to unlock it without ATT's permission. Can anyone answer: is there a reason ATT has a web page where you request to "unlock" your device and then they deny you?

I mean I'm positive I could sell this phone in less than a day and take that money to get another already vendor-ready or unlocked phone so I don't care if I CAN'T unlock it. I'm curious why if it's already paid for why they'd deny me?

Dec 17, 2013 4:07 AM in response to Norseman2

My understanding is this: carriers who lock cellphones do so because, in general, they have subsidized the original purchase price of the phone in exchange for a commitment to use their carrier services for a certain length of time. During that period, they are charging the user and thus recouping their original investment. If a phone hasn't paid off that original investment, they won't unlock it (because they haven't gotten their original investment back).

It is similar to a mortgage. When you take out a mortgage, the bank lets you live in the house, but it still belongs to them until you've paid off the loan. If you don't make all the payments, they repossess the house. Refusing to unlock a phone is tantamount (I love that word) to repossessing a home.

If you call AT&T, they may let you switch the contract on the phone over to you, so you pay off the balance. Then again, they may not. It'd be worth a try. Their web page for unlocking a phone would apply to people who have reached the end of the contract period (thus paying off the subsidized price) and want the phone unlocked. Kind of like when you've paid off your mortgage and the bank gives you title to the house.

Dec 22, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Norseman2

So did you ever get your phone unlocked?

I'm having a similar issue. ATT says my iPhone 5 is eligible to be unlocked, but the request via webform gets denied, then they submitted an IT case and emailed me a few days later saying it should be unlocked. I did the steps in iTunes to restore the device, but it's still locked. So I called again and they're opening another IT case. I just don't see why this time would be different. Basically I have no recourse, no one in a store will talk to me about the problem and the phone team just keeps giving me the run around (yes they can unlock it, but for some reason that they can't explain/help me with they can't and it's still not unlocked 2 weeks later).

Dec 22, 2014 11:38 AM in response to hake0305

hake0305 wrote:

So did you ever get your phone unlocked?

I'm having a similar issue. ATT says my iPhone 5 is eligible to be unlocked, but the request via webform gets denied, then they submitted an IT case and emailed me a few days later saying it should be unlocked. I did the steps in iTunes to restore the device, but it's still locked. So I called again and they're opening another IT case. I just don't see why this time would be different. Basically I have no recourse, no one in a store will talk to me about the problem and the phone team just keeps giving me the run around (yes they can unlock it, but for some reason that they can't explain/help me with they can't and it's still not unlocked 2 weeks later).

Have you restored the iPhone through iTunes? That's usually the next step to complete the unlock:

[How to unlock your iPhone for use with another carrier - Apple Support]

Can I unlock an ATT iPhone 5s??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.