7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2014 5:09 PM by vtmiller
mollybryson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My Apple TV works perfectly with Netflix, Hulu Plus and iTunes Radio, but there is no sound for iTunes movies that I have purchased through the store. I have attempted to restart the ATV as well as changed all the audio settings to Auto as suggested in several other forums but nothing has worked. I attempted to get support directly from Apple, and they are telling me it's not a covered device so I get no support, despite buying it with my MacBook Pro from an authorized retailer.

AppleTV 2
  • Locutus 359 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Actually not getting ANY audio at all. Try to select Apple TV as the audio output device, and OSX Mavericks won't let me.

MAJOR bug in the ATV update... MAJOR.

• jottos Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same for me guys, just this week sound for movies has gone south. No changes to settings. Possible software updates to itunes or appleTV (don't know, I wasn't watching) - I've tried the same content from two different macbooks running iTunes. The sound plays on the macbooks

I can get audio from Music and audio plays from airplay'd videos. It does not play from apple iTunes video or video that I have created on the macBook

I did some googling and found this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5150?viewlocale=en_US

When I turned off Dolby Digital, sound came back... so what's up (iTV) guys? Sounds like a bit of a bug, no?

/jos

<E-mail Edited by Host>

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,780 points)

Many TVs can't decode Dolby Digital 5.1 surround - if the setting is set to On, the TV won't know how to process the audio.

iTunes movies generally have 2 soundtracks - stereo and 5.1 DD surround - older ones may be stereo only or dual mono.

Having the setting set correcly is not a bug, but it is possible an update might alter the default option for the setting making it incorrect for you.

Some Netflix movies are in 5.1 surround too so I would expect people to see the issue with Netflix too.\

Trailers for iTunes movies are stereo only and don't show the issue.

Also, I've asked the forum hosts to edit your email out - not wise to post it publicly in the text unless you want a lot of spam.  Repost it if you really don't mind.

AC

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,780 points)

mollybryson wrote:

My Apple TV works perfectly with Netflix, Hulu Plus and iTunes Radio, but there is no sound for iTunes movies that I have purchased through the store. I have attempted to restart the ATV as well as changed all the audio settings to Auto as suggested in several other forums but nothing has worked. I attempted to get support directly from Apple, and they are telling me it's not a covered device so I get no support, despite buying it with my MacBook Pro from an authorized retailer.

Have you unpowered the unit, restarted and set Dolby Digital to Off?

If Auto is not working for people it's possible there is a bug of some kind with AppleTV thinking the HDMI connection can accept surround sound when the TV can't.

AC

Hey Alley_Cat

All of this has worked fine for years, I have a Denon 4306 which does a fine job handling Dolby.

And, Netflix works fine and Airplay works fine with Dolby, just movies played through iTunes

just stopped working this week. The setting has always been on Auto, now it has to be on off.

I vote "Bug" it's not like Apple TV features haven't just broken for a while before.

I just want ATV guys to fix it so I can have my Dolby back

/jos

more details for those with same issue

my audio is conducted through SPDIF

Only video throught HDMI

(hmm... PCM bug on the ATV side encoding Dolby starts to seem likely)

Movie is being sourced through iTunes 11.3.3 (8) on Mavericks 10.9.1

(both the latest versions)

Tried sourcing from two separate macbooks (connected wirelessly)

if you turn off Dolby on the ATV, sound comes back... 

Lastly, prior to this incident, the ATV / Denon 4306 are great together, when playing

stereo (music content) the 4306 will fall back to stereo mode and when playing movies

flip back. The Denon knows the ATV is trying to feed it a stereo signal or a Dolby signal

• vtmiller Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Restart, changing (in settings) from 'auto' sound to 16 bit and turning Dolby off worked for me. 

[Apple TV original, HDMI only hook up, and Panasonic Plasma 55" is my set-up}

Thanks for tips.