Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto won't open after reverting from mavericks to mountain lion! HELP!!

I recently upgraded to mavericks & quickly discovered that protools was not compatible with the new OS.. so i called apple & they suggested i back up my files & completely restore my computer so I could return to mountain lion..afterward i realized my ilife was no longer in my applications & had use the applications cd that came with my computer to upload ilife. now when i go to use iphoto it says " You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto." & forces me to quit. I dont see any ipdates for iphoto & at this point dont know what to do!! please help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 5:53 PM

8 replies

Apr 14, 2014 8:48 AM in response to shii921

Hey Guys.

I was searching the net trying to find an easy out on getting the iPhoto Library to open in Mountain Lion. This is running iPhoto 9.5 on Mavericks and trying to open it in Mountain Lion 9.4.3 which is the latest update for iPhoto on Mountain Lion.

I tried using the iPhoto Library Manager and didn't go far in as the library is 200GB and I spent nights rebuilding this using that tool. The tool is great, don't mistake that, but to easily make the database open up without restoring is to simply rebuild.

The 200GB database took 17 min to rebuild and Spotlight took 40min to Index. And everyhing is open, as I am typing this message.

Hope this helps

Apr 15, 2014 12:06 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad

The built in funtions from iPhoto. Quit your iPhoto completely, hold down [alt] + [cmd] and click on iPhoto. Hold those 2 keys in till you get the prompt to "Rebuild" it is the 4th option in the list.

Please let know if this worked for you, i did for me, very surprisingly.

Not sure what you asking for. I mean it exactly as I'm saying it. Mine was simple, rebuilding allowed me to open the database. There was a extra waiting period where the Spotline was indexing but the photos are open and the Events were all thee.

If this does not work for you, then i am sorry as then it might not work for all. But will definitely try this again in the same situation.

let me know

My iPhoto won't open after reverting from mavericks to mountain lion! HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.