Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to 10.9.1 Empty Trash is no longer an option

I just updated to the newest version of Mavericks form the previous version. Rebooted and now I cannot Empty Trash, even though there are files in it. I also noticed that it doesn't have the "full" trash icon (ya know, the trash bin with papers in it). The only reason the attached image says Empty Secure Trash is becuase when I did a screen capture using Command-Shift-3, Mavericks change it. How do I fix this? Anyone have the same issue? Before the update, my Trash icon lokoed full and I could right click on it and choose to Empty Trash, now its grayed out, even though there are obviously files in the trash.

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 9:58 PM

I was able to empty it after the 10.9.1 update. Mine is empty right now, has same icon as your's does right now. But when I right click on it, I see an "Empty Trash" not a "Secure Empty Trash".

Have you tried to add something to the trash to see if anything changes?

I think you also asked about screen shots... Go to System Preferences---> Keyboard---> Shortcuts---> Screen Shots. Then you can change what key combination. Just as long the new key combo isn't being used else where.

Personally I use the "Save picture of selected area to clipboard", which is "control(^)---shift(arrow up)---command---4"

KOT

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2013 9:58 PM in response to randynchicago

I was able to empty it after the 10.9.1 update. Mine is empty right now, has same icon as your's does right now. But when I right click on it, I see an "Empty Trash" not a "Secure Empty Trash".

Have you tried to add something to the trash to see if anything changes?

I think you also asked about screen shots... Go to System Preferences---> Keyboard---> Shortcuts---> Screen Shots. Then you can change what key combination. Just as long the new key combo isn't being used else where.

Personally I use the "Save picture of selected area to clipboard", which is "control(^)---shift(arrow up)---command---4"

KOT

Dec 16, 2013 10:14 PM in response to Kingoftypos

No, I was not asking about screen captures, sorry, poor paragraph structure.

I was saying why mine says Secure Empty Trash is because of the command-shift-4 key combination. Usually it just says Empty Trash. So pretend the screen capture above just says Empty Trash and forget about the screen capture.

I was finally able to actually empty the trash but I had to use the Empty button in the upper right hand corner of the Trash Finder window.

I then created another file on my desktop and right clicked on it and chose Move to Trash. My trash icon still looks empty, and when I right click on the Trash icon Empty Trash is still grated out. When I double click the Trash icon the file is in there and I have to click on the Empty button to actual empty the Trash.

Dec 16, 2013 11:16 PM in response to randynchicago

Hello, just do the following:

1. Go to the Apple Menu bar and click on the Finder category. Look for the Preferences Option.

2. Once in the preferences menu look in the topbar and click the gear icon which is the advanced preferences menu.

3. Look for the option "Empty the trash securly". Make sure the checkbox is uncheked.

Hope that helps you

randynchicago wrote:

I just updated to the newest version of Mavericks form the previous version. Rebooted and now I cannot Empty Trash, even though there are files in it. I also noticed that it doesn't have the "full" trash icon (ya know, the trash bin with papers in it). The only reason the attached image says Empty Secure Trash is becuase when I did a screen capture using Command-Shift-3, Mavericks change it. How do I fix this? Anyone have the same issue? Before the update, my Trash icon lokoed full and I could right click on it and choose to Empty Trash, now its grayed out, even though there are obviously files in the trash.

User uploaded file

Feb 3, 2014 10:57 PM in response to SGoodness

I ran Disk Utility and although lots of permissions were screwed-up, it had no impact on the trash can. It still had no right click capability. But then... I ran a Secure Empty Trash command and when it stalled and looked like it was going to take forvever, I killed it. When the process finally stoppped (which took some time), the icon showed files in the Trash and the right click was restored. Maybe a badly behaved file in the Trash? Who knows. That's what worked for me.

Apr 24, 2014 11:25 AM in response to SGoodness

Hey SGoodness,

I was having the same issue after a few months of running Mavericks. Normally I right-click on anything I want to send to the trash and use the drop down menu. This resulted in the same problem: Trash in the can but no ability to empty it and no change in the dock icon.

The simple solution that worked for me: Drag any item to the trash icon in the dock. As soon as I placed it in the trash, the icon changed and has been working perfectly since.

After updating to 10.9.1 Empty Trash is no longer an option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.