Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook's battery is fully charged, but the macbook won't stay turned on unless it is plugged in?

I've read about questions similar to mine, but I havent noticed the same exact details. I recently got an ipad as a gift and did not need to use my laptop as much so it actually sat for a few months without being charged or used. I went to plug it in the other day and it turned on just fine, but it would not stay on unless I had it plugged in. It said it was charging (for a unusually long period of time), but it did eventually finish charging and hit 100% charged. I then unplugged the charging cord and it shut down. If I remove the battery and press the button on it the green LED's still light up all the way indicating that it is fully charged, and if I have the battery in while the cord is plugged in the macbook recognizes that it is there and charged, but still shuts down when I unplug it. Any thoughts? By the way, this is an early 2008 white macbook (the one that had a bunch of plastic chip off of it). This is also the second battery I've had, not the original.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 9:41 PM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2013 12:28 AM in response to frederic1943

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number:

Manufacturer: DP

Device name: ASMB013

Pack Lot Code: 9a41

PCB Lot Code: 3f30

Firmware Version: ff14

Hardware Revision: 0011

Cell Revision: 00c8

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 2456

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 2536

Health Information:

Cycle count: 355

Condition: Replace Soon

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 7713

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On LAN: No

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x00ba

Serial Number: 0x007d37e6

Charging: No

Dec 17, 2013 6:58 AM in response to dts2012

Health Information:

Cycle count: 355

Condition: Replace Soon

That says it all. Your battery is dead/dying.

You can get a new third party battery fairly cheap on eBay. Every MacBook from 2006 through Mid 2009 except the Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody and the Late 2009 and 2010 White Unibodies use the same A1185 battery.

Black Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+black+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+white+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

White Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+white+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+black+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

Or for $129 from The Apple Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA566LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

My macbook's battery is fully charged, but the macbook won't stay turned on unless it is plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.