Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X & the new MBPs

My old 15-inch MacBook Pro (MBP) died on me a few months ago. Since that time, I had to stop doing any mobile editing or other computing. I currently use my desktop machine for everything, but I'm thinking about getting a new MBP down the road. I used to run Final Cut Studio 3 on my old MBP.

Can any of the new MBPs run the latest Final Cut Pro X? Are the built-in graphics circuits up to handling FCP, or are they limited to just certain models now?

Currently, I use a tape-based cam (HDV), but I would like to eventually move to the newer tapeless HD systems.

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 9:29 PM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Walt_Atwood

The current MBPs, with discrete graphics or not, can certainly handle FCP X - not all with the same level of performance, naturally. (FWIW, my old 2010 MBP can handle FCP X, although it is far slower than any current mac; I do have 8GB of RAM, though).

You need to have at least 8GB of RAM to get good performance or you'd be asking for trouble.. You should use a fast external drive, connected via Thunderbolt or USB3, for your media and projects.

FCP X & the new MBPs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.