Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Studio 3 and current Apple laptops

I currently have Final Cut Studio 3, installed on a desktop setup.

My old 15-inch MacBook Pro (MBP) died on me a few months ago. Since that time, I had to stop doing any mobile editing or other mobile computing. I currently use my desktop machine for everything, but I'm thinking about getting a new MBP down the road. I used to run Final Cut Studio 3 on my old MBP.

Can any of the new MBPs run the latest Final Cut Studio 3? Are the built-in graphics circuits up to handling FCP, or are they limited to just certain models now?

Currently, I use a tape-based cam (HDV), but I would like to eventually move to the newer tapeless HD systems.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), late-2012 Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HD

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 11:08 PM

>Can any of the new MBPs run the latest Final Cut Studio 3?

YES. I have it running on a min-2012 MacBook Pro...the latest model of non-retina macbook pro. It runs fine.

>Are the built-in graphics circuits up to handling FCP, or are they limited to just certain models now?

The graphics card doesn't really matter to FCP...it's MOTION and COLOR where it mattered. And it works, but it doesn't boost any performance.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2013 11:08 PM in response to Walt_Atwood

>Can any of the new MBPs run the latest Final Cut Studio 3?

YES. I have it running on a min-2012 MacBook Pro...the latest model of non-retina macbook pro. It runs fine.

>Are the built-in graphics circuits up to handling FCP, or are they limited to just certain models now?

The graphics card doesn't really matter to FCP...it's MOTION and COLOR where it mattered. And it works, but it doesn't boost any performance.

Final Cut Studio 3 and current Apple laptops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.