Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule keeps losing connection in Finder

I have a 2013 model Time Capsule. I store files on the drive and use it with Time Machine on my Macbook Air and an older MacBook. At least once or twice a week I get an error that says "There was a problem connecting to the server "[my TC name]". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again". The only fix I've found for this is to restart the Time Capsule and then remount the drive. When I get this error, Time Machine fails and I can't connect to the drive via Finder. Internet still works perfectly, so I know the TC is still up and running.

Anybody else have this issue? I noticed this in Mountain Lion, but it seems to be happening more and more these days in Mavericks.

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 11:26 PM

It has been around since Lion and gotten worse in ML and worse again in Mavericks.. Apple have never fixed it.

I think the disk name is lost and due to Mavericks going to SMB by default it is much worse.

I suggest the following but nothing my cure the bug.

Factory reset the TC.

Give it all new names, ie TC name, wireless name/s and hard disk should be ok as Data.. but make sure.

Short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Mount the disk in Finder manually..

Use Go, Connect to server.

AFP://TCname or perhaps if the TC is router and has static IP use the IP address.. this is by default.. AFP://10.0.1.1

You will be asked for the password.. type public or whatever disk password you used.

See if that gives any improvement.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2013 11:26 PM in response to whootang12

It has been around since Lion and gotten worse in ML and worse again in Mavericks.. Apple have never fixed it.

I think the disk name is lost and due to Mavericks going to SMB by default it is much worse.

I suggest the following but nothing my cure the bug.

Factory reset the TC.

Give it all new names, ie TC name, wireless name/s and hard disk should be ok as Data.. but make sure.

Short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Mount the disk in Finder manually..

Use Go, Connect to server.

AFP://TCname or perhaps if the TC is router and has static IP use the IP address.. this is by default.. AFP://10.0.1.1

You will be asked for the password.. type public or whatever disk password you used.

See if that gives any improvement.

Dec 17, 2013 9:26 PM in response to OS X fan

Thank you both for your answers. I'm unable to connect as "AFP://TCname". Instead, the only way I can connect is as this afp://TCname._afpovertcp._tcp.local. My TC had originally been named with a space, but a month ago I removed the space in an attempt to troubleshoot. When the TC is working fine, the "connect to server..." works great, but as soon as this problem arises that no longer works and my only option is to reboot the TC.

I guess my next attempt will be to wipe the entire TC and start over with a brand new name. Frustrating that I spent this much money on a glorified router/hard drive under the impression that it "just worked", and yet here I am....

Jan 29, 2014 8:12 PM in response to whootang12

what's messed up on my end, is I have had zero issues with this until a few weeks after the time capsule firmware update recently. Great for months, now I have to restart my (new model) time capsule every other day -_-

Manually selecting channel (vs auto) on the wireless via AirPort Utility restored connectivity, but probably only because it restarts the TC. But at least I can do it remotely.

Feb 3, 2014 12:23 PM in response to KrisMcKenna

I wonder if it's related to static IP address. Does your MAC that is connecting to Time Machine use Static IP address or DHCP to get an IP address? I'm having the same problem, and I'm thinking this may be the cause. I'll try it and let you know.

I had this issue with my printer, which was using DHCP and when it would cycle out and change IP address nothing would print to it.

Feb 3, 2014 12:55 PM in response to buymymonkey

knock on wood (plastic?) but it hasn't happened since changing the wireless to a manual channel vs letting it pick automatically.

The iMac and MBA were connecting via DHCP iirc, I'll look into that, too, if it starts happening again. I also wonder if it has something to do with the FitBit Aria I also got connected to my network recently. My understanding is that it only connects to the router when you weigh yourself, so it could be wreaking havoc with IP addresses or something.

Time Capsule keeps losing connection in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.