Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple really want Google Software Update in Mavericks 9.0.1?

So I got the notice about update to OSX 10.9.1 for Mavericks and installed it.

And then up pops an alert about giving or deny control by Google Software Update in Security & Privacy of System Preferences.

The only Google I have on my MBP is search in Safari! -- NO G-mail or Google drive or whatever!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB SDRAM; 750GB HD

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 11:30 PM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2013 11:44 PM in response to pwwwayne

I actually received that dialog a few days ago myself. As well as a few other people. I just Denied it.

But if you watch(ed) Netflix on your Mac. Then you have a Google plug-in or whatever you want to call it. I can't remember what the name of the file is. But it's not really accessible by the everyday user.

However, I do have Google Earth and Chrome. But that was before Mavericks and I no longer use Chrome, except when Safari messes up on PDFs. Which it has been working as of lately, so I may get rid of Chrome.

KOT

Dec 17, 2013 9:48 AM in response to pwwwayne

Personally, having read how Google operates, I would not give them control of anything on my computer as they'll have access to more than I'd want to share with them. I don't have Apple TV or Netflix so I don't know if it is absolutely necessary, but I'd try it without allowing access to control my machine.

Feb 11, 2014 6:41 PM in response to Kingoftypos

But if you watch(ed) Netflix on your Mac. Then you have a Google plug-in or whatever you want to call it. I can't remember what the name of the file is. But it's not really accessible by the everyday user.

Not correct. Netflix doesn't use a Google plug-in. Netflix uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in.

Google Earth has a plug-in.

Does Apple really want Google Software Update in Mavericks 9.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.