Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate Backup Plus

I am using Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 as Time Machine.

Please let me know how can I use thunderbolt port of my MacBook Pro for backups and also how can I encrypt the drive ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 1:35 AM

You'd have to have a drive with a Thunderbolt port (which your drive doesn't have if I'm not mistaken) in order to use the Thunderbolt port on your MacBook Pro.

No idea on encrypting your drive - I don't work for the NSA!

Clinton

5 replies

Dec 17, 2013 1:52 AM in response to IamArunNirmal

No, you'd have to purchase a drive with a Thunderbolt port (there is a Seagate Backup Plus on the market that has a Thunderbolt port).

USB 3.0 is pretty fast: Thunderbolt is, of course, faster. I've two Thunderbolt drive (LaCie 2big units) and still some FireWire 800 drives... my MacBook Pro lacks USB 3.0 ports, but I would use them in the blink of an eye if I had them!

Clinton

Seagate Backup Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.