Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access the US iTunes store when living in Italy?

I'm on exchange in Italy for a year, and soon after I arrived debit card linked to my apple ID expired. When I enter the information for the new card itunes simply refers me to the itunes support website.

I think that itunes wants me to sign up for the itunes store for Italy, but I am unsure if switching stores will delete my purcheses. I also would like to keep the language in english, if possible.

The way I see it there are two viable options:

How do I access the United States itunes store while in Italy?

OR

Does accessing the Italian itunes store delete my previous purchases, and can I change the language to English?

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.5, I'm American

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 6:48 AM

You can't use the US store unless you are in the US - you need to be in a country to use its store, so if you are in Italy then you can only use the Italian store.

None of your items will be deleted from your library if you change your country and address on your account to be your Italian address, but (going from what other people have posted) your US purchases are likely to disappear from your Purchased links so you won't be able to redownload them (they should reappear when you are back in the US with a US address on your account) - as well as being tied to the account, downloads are also tied to the country.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2013 6:48 AM in response to dev man

You can't use the US store unless you are in the US - you need to be in a country to use its store, so if you are in Italy then you can only use the Italian store.

None of your items will be deleted from your library if you change your country and address on your account to be your Italian address, but (going from what other people have posted) your US purchases are likely to disappear from your Purchased links so you won't be able to redownload them (they should reappear when you are back in the US with a US address on your account) - as well as being tied to the account, downloads are also tied to the country.

Dec 17, 2013 7:08 AM in response to dev man

If I view another country's store on my Mac's iTunes then the content headings (Music, Movies etc) remain in English, as are the Quicklinks on the right-hand side of the store homepage, though some of items in the store display in the language of the country that I've chosen

Changing iTunes language : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2242

Note: No matter what you set your language to, some content on the iTunes Store (such as album names and movie names) will still display in their original language; it is mostly the navigation buttons, tabs, and so on which will be affected by changing the language.

How do I access the US iTunes store when living in Italy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.