Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks 10.9.1 update not appearing in Server's Software Update service?

While I have been able to update my server to 10.9.1, my client computers all rely upon my server for their software updates. And although i have repeatedly had the Software Update service fetch all new updates over the last day or so, the Mavericks 10.9.1 update still isn't showing up.

Does anyone else who is using the Software Update service actually have that update available to them, or is this a case of Apple simply not having made this update available to that service yet? And if so, does anyone have an idea of how much of a delay should I expect?

MAC MINI SERVER (LATE 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Server 3.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 6:39 AM

12 replies

Dec 18, 2013 8:13 PM in response to Mysticfm

It still hasn't appeared. Surely there must be someone, anyone else using this feature of OS X Server 3.0 who can at least take a moment to check whether or not 10.9.1 has appeared in their Software Update service? If not, before long I'm going to be forced to assume that I'm the only one who has been foolish enough to use this, and as such I will probably have to give up on it since, based on what I am seeing now, it apparently isn't going to allow me to keep my computers updated.

Dec 19, 2013 7:39 AM in response to Mysticfm

Though it doesn't help you, there are two 10.9.1 updates present in the local Software Update Service; one for the recently-released retina MacBook Pro systems and one for the rest including the older retina MacBook Pro systems.

Depending on what happens at the Apple SUS servers, I've sometimes seen a day or three go by where the SUS updates simply aren't available, and sometimes longer than that. Sometimes some of the Apple servers seem to get delayed or their contents skewed, and it takes longer for the SUS updates to arrive.

It's also possible that your SUS is tossing some errors or having some connectivity issues reaching the Apple servers, or some other issue. Check the SUS logs for any details of that. I usually use Console.app to view the logs rather than the Server.app log viewer.

Feb 27, 2014 7:38 AM in response to Rathel Goodman

I was hoping the issue would be confined to 10.9.1, but now I've seen exactly the same thng happen with 10.9.2 ... I once again had to find and download the update manually in Apple's Support Downloads area. This is getting very frustrating ... I no longer feel that I can trust Apple's Software Update to keep my systems up to date. (One or the many areas where my trust in Apple has been waning over the last year or so ... at this rate they are going to have a difficult time convincing me to keep buying any of their hardware.)

Feb 27, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Mysticfm

I got it working today. I found an apple article about a bug I update server on mavericks. I'm on my phone now, so I don't have the link. There was a fix there to 'reset' the update server. Then I made sure the clients had the correct URL (which they didn't). I had to use the 10.9 URL instead of the mountain-lion URL. After that I get all updates on my client

Sorry for the incomplete answer, I don't have all the urls here on my phone.

Mar 17, 2014 7:07 PM in response to Newham Bridge Administrator

Got it now:

Follow this URL to "reset" the update server: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5305

After that, just make sure the update server URL for the clients are correct. We run this command in the terminal of each mavericks client:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL http://server.mydomain.com:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion- lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Im not sure if you can use the Profile manager to set the URL in Mavericks (I did that before on ML). In the server documentation it tells you to use terminal...

Hope it helps!

Mar 18, 2014 1:43 AM in response to Pinion Software

Apologies for the we're instead of were in my previous post. **** autocorrect.

Thanks for your help but had already followed that guide once when I first noticed the issue. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed my problems.

I'm sure I have been able to use the software update server settings installed via profile manager in 10.9 (server and client) but something is most definitely up... The terminal command you've given me returns "Rep argument is not a dictionary.

I tried browsing to the folder in finder but there's no sign of the file in the Preferences folder.

Checking the profiles in System Preferences shows that the software update profile information is there but seemingly not being applied.

But then surely something else is going on as whatever settings are in place are stopping the clients contacting Apple's SUS and seeing the available downloads and downloading them from there. Removing the profile fixes this.

Mar 23, 2014 10:25 PM in response to Newham Bridge Administrator

Hi again

Try running the following command in the terminal on your clients:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

The desired return value should be*:

http://server.mydomain.com:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion- lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

*The base URL might be different depending on if you are using standard SU settings or if you have moved the files somewhere else.

If this is not your return value try running this on your clients again:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL http://server.mydomain.com:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion- lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

You can reset the settings by running this command:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

Mavericks 10.9.1 update not appearing in Server's Software Update service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.