Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried using the start-up manager but all that comes up is a padlock, narrow space to enter characters and a box with a right arrow.

Got the system from a donation store. This had been used at a school and the drive wasn't wiped, but most things require admin user-name & password. I tried the start-up manager but all that comes up is a padlock, narrow box to enter characters, and a box with a right arrow. Also, I can't use self-mode (command + S) just doesn't work. And no install discs. I get buy on eBay Restore discs but I think the OS id 9.0? Specs: MAC OS X 10.4.11, BUILD 8S165, S/N# XB**********S, Power PC G4 1.5 GHZ.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 6:34 AM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2013 8:35 AM in response to 9797

I see you have this PowerMac model:

User uploaded file

{I've asked the Hosts to hide your serial number, so am providing this so the other helpers know your exact model without leaving the SN exposed}

That series shipped with processors between 350 and 500mHz, but you say yours is 1.5Ghz. If you have upgraded the processor, please give us the make and model of the upgrade. That can make a difference in troubleshooting these old machines.

Dec 17, 2013 10:14 AM in response to 9797

Hello, is it maybe 1.5 GB?

Firmware password protection in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

It would block usage of all the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMD+Option+p+r, CMD +v, Option boot will show a lock, and Shift, as well as booting from anything but the Hard Drive.

Force Removing Password Protection

1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.

2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).

http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php

I tried using the start-up manager but all that comes up is a padlock, narrow space to enter characters and a box with a right arrow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.