Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group text/iMessage problem!

I have a group text with 2 friends. One used to have an iPhone, but switched to a different smart phone. Since she switched, my messages in the group are not going to her. My iPhone keeps sending the group messages as iMessage, which she cannot receive. Help!

I've tried updating my software, deleting her contact and re-adding it, rebooting the phone...nothing works! When I text her privately, the message attempts to go as iMessage and eventually goes as text.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 2:04 PM

Hello meansy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

If they plan on transferring their SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If they do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.

Best of luck,

Mario

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 2:04 PM in response to meansy

Hello meansy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

If they plan on transferring their SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If they do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.

Best of luck,

Mario

Jun 29, 2016 7:18 AM in response to mario49

Mario,

Your response is not helpful at all. Why is it that Apple cannot resolve this continuous issue? It's incredibly frustrating coming from someone who used to own an iPhone and no longer can stand Apple.

Please do not send me a link to answer my question, below. Please do your best to answer as clearly the link above did not help.

My sisters and I are a group message and I have an Andriod. One sister just bought a new iPhone which is now only sending messages as an iMessage, which I obviously cannot receive. She tried deleting my contact and re-creating it as a "mobile" vs "iPhone" but that is not working. She tried switching iMessage "off" and then back "on" but it is still not working. Please help. This is ridiculous.

Thank you.

Jun 29, 2016 7:24 AM in response to meghanyingling

What the contact is labeled as in Contacts on your sister's phone is irrelevant. She could label it "rutabaga" for all the difference it would make. Switching iMessage off and on is just going to create more problems. If your sister's phone is not sending SMS messages at all, to anyone, then the problem lies with her carrier and she should contact them.

Have you tried starting a brand new group thread?

Jul 27, 2016 6:53 AM in response to AntBee

AntBee wrote:

Have your sister, with the iPhone, go to Settings>Messages, leave iMessage on, and scroll down, and there will be a choice to send as an SMS when iMessage is not available, switch that on. Your Android device should now be able to receive your sister's messages as regular texts.

I hope this helps.

That setting has nothing to do with sending messages to someone who does not have iMessage. It is only relevant if the phone tried to send an iMessage (which is will not do to an Android) and it then fails. As noted last month, when this thread was last active, the issue seems to be that the iPhone user does not have SMS properly enabled. That is something only the carrier can fix.

Group text/iMessage problem!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.