Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a Google Talk number to iMessage?

I had a phone number with a cell provider previously, but switched carriers. In the process of doing this, I ported my old number to Google Voice and got a new number with the new carrier. I was able to have both phone numbers connected to my iMessage, but my old number has now disappeared from the list of connected numbers and emails. Now I don't get any of the messages that people are sending to my old number. Is there any way to add this back so that I may get iMessages at both numbers? Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 8:45 AM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2013 9:49 AM in response to AmishCake

I took a look at that thread, but it was for a different situation. My iMessage used to be able to receive messages at my old phone number for a couple months, but just recently, it disappeared. Does Apple regularly prune phone numbers from their lists? I didn't reset any settings or anything and I don't think I can readd that number unless I am able to have a phone with that number which isn't possible unless I report it again.

Dec 17, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Fiestaman

Ordinarily, the only number that can be connected to iMessage is the phone number that your carrier assigns your iPhone. However, unless you deactivate a number before you switch it to another phone (which is essentially what you did, though the phone you switched to is virtual), it will take the system a little while to disconnect that number from iMessage. However, it will eventually be disconnected.

Best of luck.

How do I add a Google Talk number to iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.