Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks 10.9-10.9.1 bug/issue/problem: external drives connected through thunderbolt or firewire are not put to sleep when iMac goes to sleep

Previous to Mavericks (10.9 - 10.9.1) I've had no issues with external firewire or thunderbolt connected drives to be put to sleep. However, since Mavericks all of my external drives are not put to sleep when my iMac, or Mac Pro go to sleep.

How can a company such as Apple, pushing people to have external devices like hard drives, is not on top of fixing this issue? Apple pushed for firewire and thunderbolt, thus All external drives I've owned are firewire. Because of speed. I bought thunderbolt adapters for firewire, and before Mavericks all worked great. Now that we have 10.9.1 update, this is still an issue!

I'm aware of the temporary solution of connecting the drive through USB to make it work, this is not a solution, but a hack.

Please let Apple know that this is a known issue, and there should be a fix for it. Everyone's data depends on it! Not only current external backups, but also external sensitive hard drives we rely on. Currently, the following makes are experiencing this issue: Lacie, OWC (Elite Pro), WD, Promise, Seagate, Toshiba, G-Drive.

Other Apple Support Communities related thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5486167?start=60&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5488413?answerId=23541363022#23541363022

External References:

http://blog.macsales.com/21004-upgrade-to-mavericks-drama-free-with-owc

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1659332&page=3

If anyone finds how to solve this issue, please help by posting the steps or solution.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iPad 1 and New iPad 2012

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 10:49 AM

35 replies

Mar 1, 2014 4:17 PM in response to Ludvik Herrera

Same 2 issues with 10.9.2:

External FireWire drive WILL NOT spin down when Mac goes to sleep.

also

External FireWire drive WILL NOT spin down for inactivity despite Put hard disks to sleep when possible” is checked in energy saver.

This has been going on since the launch of Mavericks and no solution found yet.

Since the USB ports are the only ones working correctly that is what I am currently stuck with.

Mar 3, 2014 6:48 PM in response to OzziesMAC

Perhaps it's a matter of expectations. When "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" it still takes 10 minutes (unless you take action in Terminal to reduce this time) before the drive actually goes to sleep. So, see what happens if you put your Mac to sleep and then wait 10 minutes. My FW drives (both a OWC RAID enclosure and a NewerTech drive dock) both sleep. Although the fan on the OWC does not stop the drives do spin down.

Mar 4, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Douglas Campbell

I had the same issue with 2 WD external drives. one USB2 and other Firewire 800. Make sure Skype is not running. So as i quit the Skype app and the drives go to sleep and wake normally. So my believe, one of the recent updates from Microsoft has developed the issue mentioned. Hope this helps..

At first i thought it might be Plex server, but it was Skype.

Message was edited by: RON SMITH 100

Mar 10, 2014 10:47 PM in response to Stefano

Stefano you are correct, NO FIX. They did fix one of the soin down problems. Now when you eject the drive it will spin down but it will not spin down when the computer goes to sleep nor when there has been over 10 minutes of inactivity.

You do have FREE 90 day support on OS upgrades even if your warranty is expired.

Just call Apple Care at 1-800-277-5322 with your Mac Serial Number and ask to speak

with a senoir advisor about your issue with 10.9.2.

Mavericks 10.9-10.9.1 bug/issue/problem: external drives connected through thunderbolt or firewire are not put to sleep when iMac goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.