Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues with profile manager on 10.9 loosing users/device assignments.

I'm having issues with profile manager on 10.9 loosing users/device assignments. Luckly I only have arround 70 devices added so far. The first time it happened I thought it was just a freak thing, but it has just happened again. What I find weird is nothing on the server was changed, no devices added. So when this happens my users phones lose access to email, because I'm using variables, which rely on the user being assigned to the device. Anyone know how to fix this, and if not. Does anyone know how to backup and restore just profile manager in 10.9. Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 12:36 PM

5 replies

Dec 17, 2013 4:02 PM in response to itsoftwaremgr

I enabled all users in my AD "Domain Users" group access to "Profile Manager". I had also initially enabled "Profile Manager" access for a few individual users. Those users did not loss the device assignments. I'm not absolutely sure why/if allowing access for a group is causing this issue. Enabling access for each person would be very time consuming.... Maybe adding access to the individual users is importing that user into OD?

May 21, 2015 10:17 AM in response to itsoftwaremgr

In my experience, this can happen with older versions of Profile Manager when the directory server (either AD or OD) becomes inaccessible to the OS X Server machine. The last Server 3.2 version improved this considerably, but it seems the best setup for this is Server 4 (on 10.10 Yosemite). If you're not using the latest Server 3.2 version (not sure if it's 3.2.1 or there is a 3.2.2), you should definitely upgrade to that. However, if you can, I would recommend upgrading your server to Yosemite and Server 4.1.

Having issues with profile manager on 10.9 loosing users/device assignments.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.