Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple usb keyboard doesn't work with macbook pro

The usb numeric keyboard (http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-e nglish-usa) isn't recognized by the new macbook pro late 2013. None of the keys work, it is as if it is not connected, I tried both usb ports. This keyboard worked perfectly with the macbook pro 2009 model. The only discernable difference is that the new macbook pro uses usb 3.0. These are both apple products and it is rediculous that they woulnd't work together.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 2:27 PM

19 replies

Dec 19, 2013 6:20 AM in response to alwsfromon

Hi alwsfromon,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. This article has steps you can try if your USB external keyboard is not working correctly on your MacBook Pro:

One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1381

No keys work on an external Apple keyboard

• If you use a wireless Bluetooth keyboard, make sure it is turned on when the computer starts up. You may need to check the battery levels, too. See this article for more troubleshooting information.
  • Disconnect and reconnect your keyboard. Make sure that the connector is completely inserted into the port. (USB plugs fit into ports one way only, and won't allow you to make a connection if you try to connect them upside-down.) Test the keyboard again.
  • Connect your keyboard to a different USB port.
  • Try a different keyboard with your computer if possible, or your keyboard with a different Mac.
  • Try logging into a different user account. If the issue does not occur when logged into a different user account, then troubleshoot for software issues.
  • Open Universal Access preferences (in System Preferences) and click the Mouse tab. Verify that Mouse Keys is Off, as shown below. (With Mouse Keys on you can use the keyboard or the numeric keypad keys to move the mouse, however normal keyboard functionality will be disabled until the Mouse Keys feature is turned off.)

Cheers,

- Ari

Jul 24, 2014 8:21 AM in response to Painting Kid

Hi,

- Have a look at System Information : Option Key + Apple Menu -> System Information under Hardware -> USB to check whether the external keyboard is recognised and listed.

- If not, reboot the MBPro with the keyboard already connected and check SysInfo and keyboard operation

- If not, try a NVRAM reset: About NVRAM and PRAM and check again

- If not, try as a last resort to connect the keyboard via a USB2 hub which is connected to a USB port of your MacBook Pro.

Aug 12, 2014 11:12 AM in response to dwbrecovery

I'm getting the same problem have done since I purchased my £1500 MacBook Pro. My laptop keyboard also stops working every now and again as well.

Reseting the NVRAM works, but the keyboard consistently doesn't work regularly so restarting my computer each time this happens isn't a solution. My keyboard is a Apple keyboard.

As a note, i've had Apple on this, and they couldn't resolve it. It's pretty poor paying so much for a computer and there is an issue with the keyboard!

Not very happy.

Oct 2, 2014 2:02 AM in response to alwsfromon

I had the same issue, but managed to solve it. I connected a USB hub (probably USB 2.0) to the "malfunctioning" port, then suddenly the keyboard worked again. When I then unplugged the USB hub, and inserted the keyboard again, it worked again.

I also use a thunderbold connection, and I read somewhere that USB issues and Thunderbold can be related. Not sure about this one...

Dec 11, 2014 2:40 AM in response to alwsfromon

My USB Apple keyboard is not recognised when i redock.

When I disconnect My MACBOOK PRO for using it as a laptop I disconnect the keyboard (as well as my external screen). The keyboard is connected through the USB outlet on the rear af the Thunderflash screen.

When I reconnect the screen and the keyboard, screen is seen but keyboard is not. I have to unmount the keyboard, reboot, reinset the USB-keyboard, and it is recognised (2 out af three attempts).

This error started when I updated to Yosemity.

Dec 11, 2014 8:58 AM in response to fastone45

This works for me! Thanks @fastone45 😉

I have no idea why, and I still have other issues (i.e. the laptop keyboard locks) and I still think it is pretty poor on Apple's behalf.

@HotDoc1947 as of Yosemity I would say a significant number applications I use on a daily basis crash regularly including Finder, Mail, Calendar - i.e. Apple's own apps.

Feb 1, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Javad_BM

Thanks Javad_Bm,

Using the extension cable fixed the issue for me too.

I found the issue was intermittent - and thought switching between the two systems below may have been the culprit. However, even a reboot 'sometimes' but not always fixed the problem.

I'm running a late 2013 Macbook Pro with Yosemite.

I run a Cinema display with USB keyboard at home and 2 x Thunderbolts with a usb keyboard at work.

On both systems I connect the keyboard into the display USB.

Apple usb keyboard doesn't work with macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.