Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laserjet 5000 Mavericks

This is a long shot question.

It seems the HP Laserjet 5000 series of enterprise-level business laser printers, including the 5100 series and 5200 series, all of which were sold new as late as 2006, are no longer supported with updated printer drivers for Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.

Most documents can still print in a basic way by pointing to the printer identified by local IP, but there's something changed in Mavericks, maybe something for portrait and landscape mode that's preventing proper orientation, custom page sizes and other helpful functionality. Preview, for example, does not properly rotate a print. It further crashes the printer when a different size paper is picked for printing.

This was all caused by my $2700 upgrade to a new iMac that comes with 10.9 Mavericks. Everything was working fine before. It seems the solution is to toss out my expensive Laserjet 5000 and replace it with the Laserjet M712 at a cost of $2400! Ouch! And this is after having spent loads of money for software upgrades because of Mavericks incompatibility.

It doesn't make any sense — especially since the Laserjet 5000 is otherwise in excellent physical condition and prints basic stuff just fine.

And it's not just a matter of money. These are not throw-away cheap printers. Physically they take up a lot of space. There's also connectivity issues, etc., such that it's like changing my entire life. And just for the new iMac?! It doesn't make any sense. Ever heard of upgrading one thing at a time?

This is NOT supposed to be a comprehensive, raze the whole estate, empty-the-entire-bank-account upgrade! Know what I mean?

Any clever workarounds?

Anybody with a resourceful mind, maybe similar situation, having alternate approaches or helpful ideas?

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 2:08 PM

24 replies

Dec 17, 2013 6:31 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

You ask, "have you cotacted HP fro an updated driver?"

I'll just pretend that I don't see your grossly misspelled simple words in only one sentence, but yes I forgot to mention the obvious.

I wouldn't be posting such a request here if I hadn't already exhausted (and it was indeed exhausting) all common avenues towards a solution, including countless hours and days with HP tech support and Apple Support — Apple Support because all HP drivers are now downloadable through Apple Software Update.

Thank you for making me jump.

Dec 17, 2013 6:50 PM in response to Ken2G5

Working on the assumption that you are currently using one of the Generic drivers included with OS X, I would suggest you download and install Gutenprint v5.2.9 (if you haven't done so already). This driver suite lists your LJ5000 as a supported model and I would expect it to provide better operational support than the built-in drivers (it often has in the past).

Dec 17, 2013 7:51 PM in response to Ken2G5

Ken2G5 wrote:

However, browsing through their site I cannot find any mention of benefit (or functionality) in Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.

I don't have your model, or any HP for that matter, so I cannot provide information on the functionality provided by Gutenprint. But I have used this driver to allow me to print to older models of printer that no longer have support from the vendor, so the benefit for me and others is that Gutenprint will let you print from 10.9.

Dec 17, 2013 8:08 PM in response to Ken2G5

Ken2G5 wrote:

Unfortunately, the issues here seem to be some fancy stuff that Apple has loaded into Mavericks.

I don't believe Mavericks printing is operating any differently to 10.8 or 10.7. So I'm curious to hear what you consider "fancy stuff".

FWIW, I can print with different orientations and create custom paper sizes on 10.9.

Dec 17, 2013 8:34 PM in response to PAHU

"Fancy stuff" is my opinon after some lengthy, in-depth, nitpicking trouble-shooting with a sharp senior Apple tech advisor who used screen share on me. We tried to force-use one of the printer drivers she found.

Unfortunately, my frame of reference is also from skipping 10.8 entirely. I had everything printing fine in Mac OS 10.7.5, so the portrait and landscape modes in 10.9 seem rather automatic, as in Preview's Auto Rotate, which is not working properly with my Laserjet 5000. Nor is similar landscape mode printing from another app, namely Vectorworks.

Problem is perhaps coupled with the Laserjet 5000's state of the art, which is probably circa late 90's. Although it's a powerhouse printer with a fast ethernet connection, there seems no download path into the machine. Perhaps it needs firmware, but HP has none for it and they don't want to support it any longer because they want to make more money from people like me.

So the pinpoint problem could just be some little software thing that the printer needs in order to recognize something in these new apps that it didn't need to recognize before.

Dec 18, 2013 11:24 PM in response to Ken2G5

I had my hopes up that today's software update (HP Printer Software Update v.2.16.1, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3669) would fix it.

But no.

Problem persists.

The Laserjet 5000 is a robust printer that can print up to 12.4"x18.4" paper, which is just a bit larger than tabloid (11x17). This is the size that messes up in landscape mode. In Preview, rotating to landscape for printing still crashes the printer. Same crash. In Vectorworks, landscape prints in portrait mode.

Can this detail possiblly get to Apple engineers?

I've already sent the feedback report after talking to Apple Tech.

Dec 20, 2013 1:22 PM in response to PAHU

Thx for trying to help. Or at least suggesting to look at yours.

The question of "what driver am I using?" is, in fact, the core of the problem. Allow me to explain again.

I cannot see ANY printer regardless of how thoroughly we reset the printing system, recheck for updates, trash the com.apple.printer prefs, run disk utilities, reboot, etc.

There's no pre-populated list of makes and models of printers (drivers) from which to choose, anywhere. Yes it's properly connected in a wired network.

The only way to "see" the printer is to call up its local IP address. In the process of doing so, the little pop-up menu in the Sys Pref Printer Add via IP correctly shows the Jetdirect network interface. HP Jetdirect is physically installed inside the LJ5000. It takes in the ethernet cable. So at least THAT little menu is properly populated with the correct device. (So I wonder how it's able to find THAT)

This is the only way to get basic printing functions. It does so with a generic postscript printer icon. Can we call it "no printer driver" yet? But wait...

Apple tech (the first one) gave me a standalone HP driver installer (v.2.16.1), which, at the beginning, seemed to provide no help, not populating anything anywhere with any drivers. Blank fields. Is Mavericks so smart as to need no extra baggage? That was my thought. It did not recognize any HP Laserjet 5000. Or any Laserjet. Or any HP or any printer whatsoever!

Except, that somehow, maybe inthe process of trying to install something, the correct LJ5000 icon replaced the generic postscript icon. It's nicely identical to the one in OS 10.7, this icon. So there was SOME progress.

However, it ultimately proved to have absolutely no printing improvement still. It's the same basic letter size, and that's it. Anything fancy is either unavailable, messed up, or crashes the printer.

Even resetting again everything in Sys Prefs and all those iterations jumping through all those hoops produced no HP LJ5000 driver appearing anywhere.

So essentially, it seems we had successfully installed only the correct printer icon!?! Functionality is same as generic IP printer.

Or is some kind of visible LJ5000 item supposed to appear somewhere to see/ read/ pick? But where?

There's none.

That's the problem.

I want to think that this is maybe all an OS problem instead of a printer driver problem. It's much easier to point the finger at HP though.

Feb 13, 2015 2:34 AM in response to Ken2G5

Hello Ken2G5,

Hi frustrated printing community,

I have experienced exactly the same problems as described by Ken2G5 !

Bought a new MacBook Pro 15“Retina (because my old one broke down) with pre-installed 10.9.2 and the good ol' working horse HP 5000 Laserjet didn't print any longer!!!

It really makes me upset and angry that you buy a high-end 2300,-€ machine and than you are forced to buy new printer for 2000,-€ too only because they are not able to keep a former running system stable. Everything was fine and running with my former MacBook and 10.7.! And you have no chance of downgrading!

THAT is really unreal and leaves me back in disbelief!!! Welcome to the wonderful new high-tech world and get back to past! 😠

I only have little hope that after more than a year passing by there will be any solution for the problem?

Or has perhaps anyone had success to get the HP 5000 LJ running with mavericks 10.9.2 ???

Thanks for EVERY hint or suggestion!!!!

Greetz from GER,

MacILLRoy

(_(__)_)

~~

(..)

HP Laserjet 5000 Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.