Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with WD software under Mountain Lion?

HI

I come from the Mavericks discussion, where someone wrote that WD software (for Western Digital hard drives) made not only problems under OS X 10.9 Mavericks (data loss!) but also under Mountain Lion. I'm using a WD My Book Studio II (2 x 1 TB as RAID 1) and until now had no problems under Mountaion Lion. Which problem could occur? Many thanks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 4:00 PM

Personal experience, software not included... I've had terrible issues with WD drives. I say "software not included" because I've never used WD drive software.
I had an 80Gb internal that was seized up "out of the box", another that went "belly up" in less than six months, and a 500Gb MyBook that "croaked" on me in less than six weeks, costing me more than $25,000 worth of music.

Finder (in OS X from 10.2 to 10.9) should be able to manage the drive WITHOUT any proprietary software from the drive manufacturer. But that's ONLY if the drive doesn't malfunction, or you don't have any connection problems.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2013 4:00 PM in response to coxorange

Personal experience, software not included... I've had terrible issues with WD drives. I say "software not included" because I've never used WD drive software.
I had an 80Gb internal that was seized up "out of the box", another that went "belly up" in less than six months, and a 500Gb MyBook that "croaked" on me in less than six weeks, costing me more than $25,000 worth of music.

Finder (in OS X from 10.2 to 10.9) should be able to manage the drive WITHOUT any proprietary software from the drive manufacturer. But that's ONLY if the drive doesn't malfunction, or you don't have any connection problems.

Problems with WD software under Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.