Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bypass the keychain migrator window upon login??

I recently upgraded my OS to Mavericks. When I turned on my computer today, the keychain migrator window opened. I cannot cancel it, do not know my password, and cannot log into the computer. How can I bypass this window?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 4:29 PM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2013 4:55 PM in response to dpoutsiaka

Try current and previous passwords (if you remember). I faced the same issue today when I updated to 10.9.1. I had to try the previous password, one of which worked.

My Mac is setup is in a corporate network and it uses the LDAP password, which has to be changed every few months. While Mac does cache the new password for the purpose of login, looks like the same is not used to update the keychain password. Which means that you have to manually change it.

Looks like Apple engineers simply didn't test this case.

Dec 26, 2013 5:27 PM in response to dpoutsiaka

Hopefully you've figured this out but in case you haven't or other folks land here -

Having accepted Maverick OS X 10.9.1 (13B42) update earlier tonight when I tried to log in after it had been applied I got the same "Local Items" keychain pop up which blocked my attempted log in.

It was only when I rebooted my machine (iMac 27-inch, mid 2011) again that I was able to login and then apply the fix http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5362 which fortunately worked.

See also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467304?answerId=24263982022#24263982022

Jul 4, 2015 3:52 AM in response to duncanjw

Thanks! I ran into this issue for the first time ever, when I updated to Mavericks 10.10.4 yesterday. When I started my MacBook Pro this morning, the prompt for keychain migrator password appeared. I shut down the computer with a hard shutdown, and the prompt for keychain migrator no longer appeared, but I clicked on the answer Apple Support gave you, and have printed it if I run into further problems.

Jul 25, 2015 6:26 AM in response to dpoutsiaka

I just logged in and after I entered my login at the normal login screen a second window came up asking me to enter my password again. The second login window mentions something about KeychainMigrator. I did not recognize this so I did not login and shutdown the computer and it did not ask me again after my second login. What is KeychainMigrator and is it a legitmate Mac applicaiton? I searched my Mac and Google for the keyword KeychainMigrator and nothing came up in my Mac and there were very few articles in Google, this being one of them.

I also did an image search for KeyChainMigrator in Google and I did not see a similar login window that I received. Nothing stating KeychainMigrator.

I am a little concerned. Is this malware?

bypass the keychain migrator window upon login??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.