Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook with student discount

I've just finished my A levels and will almost certainly be starting university in october. The question is, do I have to wait till then if I want to get myself a student discount?

Cheers,
sd

Posted on Jul 20, 2006 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2006 1:20 AM

Student discounts are only available for college and university students. Proof of enrollment is required when you place your order. So, yes, you will have to wait until you have officially enrolled in a university or college.

Why reward points?(Quoted from Discussions Terms of Use.)
The reward system helps to increase community participation. When a community member gives you (or another member) a reward for providing helpful advice or a solution to their question, your accumulated points will increase your status level within the community.
Members may reward you with 5 points if they deem that your reply is helpful and 10 points if you post a solution to their issue. Likewise, when you mark a reply as Helpful or Solved in your own created topic, you will be awarding the respondent with the same point values.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2006 1:20 AM in response to sd_321

Student discounts are only available for college and university students. Proof of enrollment is required when you place your order. So, yes, you will have to wait until you have officially enrolled in a university or college.

Why reward points?(Quoted from Discussions Terms of Use.)
The reward system helps to increase community participation. When a community member gives you (or another member) a reward for providing helpful advice or a solution to their question, your accumulated points will increase your status level within the community.
Members may reward you with 5 points if they deem that your reply is helpful and 10 points if you post a solution to their issue. Likewise, when you mark a reply as Helpful or Solved in your own created topic, you will be awarding the respondent with the same point values.

Jul 20, 2006 1:31 AM in response to sd_321

Hi,

I bought a MacBook from the UK Apple Store about month ago. I am a postgraduate student, so I bought it from the Education section and duly received my discount. However, there was no effort made to check my student status - no one from Apple ever requested any proof (which I would have been happy to supply). So... who knows? Seems like Apple are relying on people's honesty, at least sometimes.

Jul 20, 2006 7:29 AM in response to sd_321

Hey

I purchased my iMac whilst I was a university student and I now work for my alma mater. My student status was indeed checked with that purchase. I also just bought a MacBook (with my teacher discount) though my status was not checked at all. I post this to advise you to be aware that there are two levels of discount - one for 'Education', and one for 'Higher Education, HE'. The latter discount offers more money off, though you can only access the store for HE through your University computer network. For example, I just bought a standard MacBook (Apple store price £750). I bought this same unit for £643 through the store for HE, though if you buy it through the store for education (not Higher Education), it will set you back £704. Does this make sense? I hope so!

iMac G5 17", MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Jul 20, 2006 12:56 PM in response to sd_321

Does anyone know what sort of proof of enrollment you need for the discount? Like a Student ID or transcript? Also, (sorry I'm very new to the apple thing/laptop buying thing) if i were to go to my local Apple store, would they have to order a laptop (MacBook) for me and then it would be sent to my home? And how long about does this take?

Macbook with student discount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.