Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed user account and now Time Machine won't back up.

A few months ago I had a problem with my user account. I can't remember the details but i think it would no longer accept my password. After doing some hunting around for answers i made a new user account with administrative priviledges and transferred all the files over to that account. I also changed the permissions on those files to allow me to access them as a new user identity. For the most part that seems to have worked for me, although possibly i have not done the right thing.

Anyway, i have just realised recently that although the little circular arrow that indicated that Time machine is backing up my files, it hasn't actually made a backup since the end of august, which was possibly when i did this funny thing with my user account.

I am assuming that Time Machine has just got very confused about the disappearance of my files from the previous user account and change of permissions etc.

What can i do? I read on 'pondini.org' that i could reset my time machine by deleting the preferences file from my system library and then rehooking up my external hard drive as the desired backup volume. It would then, i assume make a full backup to begin with?

Any advice gratefully received. I am a graphic designer and i do need to have my files backed up!

thanks

Lesley

ps i had some extra RAM installed a little while before the user account problem and only mentioning it here in case that is an issue with Time Machine as well.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Time Machine issue

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Hi Lesely, sadly the great pondini has passed away. 😟

Have you looked through Pondini's extensive TM help site?

http://Pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Can't imagine something not being covered there.

3 replies

Dec 17, 2013 11:47 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Yes i came across that site today while looking on the internet for clues. Could not find any references to the implications of having changed user accounts though. Just wondered if i have mucked things up. I think i will go with Pondini's directions for resetting the time machine and throwing away prefs (beforehand). But was hoping that someone passing by here would know specifically about the user account issue or anything else relevant.

SO still grateful for any comments on my conundrum.

Lesley

I changed user account and now Time Machine won't back up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.