Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert my iMovie to DVD format & burn movie to a DVD?

I have recently completed my first iMovie - a 1 hour 35 minute movie of the high school football team's awards ceremony. Now, the parents and players want copies of the movie. The file is too long/large to be uploaded to iCload. My question is:

How do I convert my iMovie to DVD format, and then burn the movie to a DVD?

My Macbook Pro (Retina display) does not have iDVD installed. I cannot believe that Apple did not install/pre-load a DVD-creation utility into the latest Macbook Pros.

Please help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 5:27 PM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2013 11:38 PM in response to Elginapples

Hi

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

Burn http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

• Free DVD Creator.app - free from Apple Store

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

Dec 18, 2013 5:17 AM in response to Elginapples

There is in reality no acceptable substitute for iDVD.

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

How do I convert my iMovie to DVD format & burn movie to a DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.