Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 1GHz PowerPC G4, will not start up after a power outage.

Last night my neighborhood lost power for several hours. After the power I was restored, I have been unable to get any response from pushing the power button on my computer. I've tried several suggested "fixes," including unplugging, pushing the power button for 15 seconds, plugging back in, waiting 5 seconds and trying again. I've disconnected the hard drives, etc. Is it true that the machine might just need to wait, like, a day, and then it will start up again? I hate to drag it to the Apple Store if all I need to do is wait, but that seems a little unlikely. Thanks for your help.

iMac 1GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 5:58 PM

It could be that sitting unplugged for a bit will help, but more likely the powersupply is dead.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Personally I would extract the Hard drive and use a FireWire bridge to get any data you want off of it.

The good news is that your data is most likely fine.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good Luck,

Marty

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2013 5:58 PM in response to Dallas Clemmons

It could be that sitting unplugged for a bit will help, but more likely the powersupply is dead.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Personally I would extract the Hard drive and use a FireWire bridge to get any data you want off of it.

The good news is that your data is most likely fine.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good Luck,

Marty

Dec 18, 2013 3:56 PM in response to Martin Joseph

Ah geez, I've exposed myself as an idiot. Sorry--I thought I had updated my profile here, surely, since I bought my last computer, but apparently not. This desktop was new in the fall of 2008 (since I don't have it, I can't check under the Apple Menu and update my specs, although I know I should know them.) The guy at the Apple Store today did tell me it was "pretty old" but they took it and, fingers crossed, it will only need a new power supply which will be $106. Of course they don't know yet and other things could be damaged as well, but I think they can fix it.Which relieves me greatly. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Dallas

iMac 1GHz PowerPC G4, will not start up after a power outage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.