Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have videos it won't let me add to itunes, how can i fix this?

I have two videos i want to put on my ipod but i cannot get them onto itunes, i have tried selecting the file, copying and pasting, and dragging it across and none of these files have worked. I have been able to open the files with itunes before though, do i need to convert them or something?

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 1:39 AM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2013 8:38 AM in response to taylor.maree

What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?

iTunes:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
  • Video podcasts.
  • iTunes Digital Copies.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Mobile Devices:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • Videos that have been shared to iTunes using QuickTime Player (Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard).
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with QuickTime 7 Pro.
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others. Refer to Exporting a movie from iMovie HD to iPod for an iMovie HD tutorial.
  • Video Podcasts that have been created for mobile devices.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone version option.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPad or AppleTV version option (iPad and AppleTV only).
  • See below for detailed movie specifications.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Does the video need to be encoded in a special way?

All mobile devices which iTunes can sync video to can play the following video formats:

• H.264
    File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
    Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
    Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.
  • MPEG-4
    File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
    Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
    Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.

Other formats may be supported by newer devices. The technical specifications can give additional details.

I have videos it won't let me add to itunes, how can i fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.