Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer a bought app to another ID?

Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to transfer a bought app (FCPX) from 1 apple ID to another, while disabling it from the first so it only exists on 1 ID.

The reason for this being is because our creative director at the company I work for has unfortunately left us, and I can no longer update the software on my mac because it is linked to her Apple ID which she decided to purchase on her personal one rather than a company ID. She of course still got her expenses back from purchasing the product so technically it belongs to the company.

Does anyone know if there is a way, or if apple are able to transfer the bought app to our company ID after she has given approval to make the transfer and then removed from her own ID?

Kind regards,

Jameel

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 5:25 AM

No, online apps purchased in the iTunes or App stores, or the Mac App Store are permanently tied to the AppleID used at the time of purchase. There is no way to transfer them to an alternate AppleID. The other AppleID will have to be used to purchase the item again if you want it under that AppleID.

Any reimbursement you may have granted the person for the purchase has no bearing on this at all - the purchase was made with a specific AppleID, and so is assigned permanently to that AppleID. Your offer to reimburse her for it does not transfer the software use license, as the terms of the online Apple stores specifically preclude the transfer of software licenses purchased online.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2013 5:25 AM in response to Jameel_Chow

No, online apps purchased in the iTunes or App stores, or the Mac App Store are permanently tied to the AppleID used at the time of purchase. There is no way to transfer them to an alternate AppleID. The other AppleID will have to be used to purchase the item again if you want it under that AppleID.

Any reimbursement you may have granted the person for the purchase has no bearing on this at all - the purchase was made with a specific AppleID, and so is assigned permanently to that AppleID. Your offer to reimburse her for it does not transfer the software use license, as the terms of the online Apple stores specifically preclude the transfer of software licenses purchased online.

Dec 18, 2013 5:39 AM in response to Michael Black

Hi Michael,

Thank you kindly for the fast response, would you happen to know if Apple could make this kind of transfer via their systems if I was to call their support line? I know there isnt any kind of web or app means of doing any product transfers, but have members of the community actually tried calling Apple and making this request to see whether it was possible for them to do in the back end of their systems, as you would any other customer service? I know mobile phone providors are capable of unclocking apple devices for you and such, so surely would it not be possible for Apple to be able to make app transfers if requested over the phone?

I thought i'd ask if you've actually tried this process and got feedback from apple themselves whether this was achieveable or not. It will save me from having to call them myself if this has been raised with them already.

Thanks,

Jameel

Dec 18, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Jameel_Chow

I've never had cause to try, but you could certainly give them a call and ask. I would be surprized if they allow it though, since the reality is that you are not the current software license holder of record, the owner of the AppleID used to purchase the license is.

Keep in mind that your fellow empolyee did not buy the software, she merely purchased a license to use the software, and the only record of that license issuance is tied to her AppleID, not anyone elses. At the very least, I would imagine it would have to be she who requested a transfer of license, not someone else.

All they can say is no, so if you think it worth pursuing, then sure, give Apple a call and ask.

For information only, below is the limits of the license agreement you sign when making a purchase in the App Store (this is from the USA web site document). Note that the licenses are explicitly non-transferable, which is why I say I doubt Apple would make any exceptions to the rule.

"a. Scope of License: This license granted to you for the Licensed Application by Licensor is limited to a nontransferable license to use the Licensed Application on any Apple-branded products running iOS (including but not limited to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch) (“iOS Devices”) or Mac OS X (“Mac Computers”), as applicable (collectively, “Apple Device(s)”) that you own or control and as permitted by the usage rules set forth in the Mac App Store, App Store and iBooks Store Terms and Conditions (the “Usage Rules”). This license does not allow you to use the Licensed Application on any Apple Device that you do not own or control, and except as provided in the Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Licensed Application available over a network where it could be used by multiple devices at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer redistribute, or sublicense the Licensed Application and, if you sell your Mac Computer or iOS Device to a third party, you must remove the Licensed Application from the Mac Computer or iOS Device before doing so. You may not copy (except as expressly permitted by this license and the Usage Rules), decompile, reverse-engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the Licensed Application, any updates, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent that any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent as may be permitted by the licensing terms governing use of any open-sourced components included with the Licensed Application). Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of the Licensor and its licensors. If you breach this restriction, you may be subject to prosecution and damages."

Dec 18, 2013 6:34 AM in response to Michael Black

That's absolutely understandable and in regards to her making the request, as I stated in my first post we would make sure she gives approval (which she has said she would gladly cooperate with, giving Apple any details/security answers required for proof of ID) but I can see your point very clearly after reading through the T's & C's you have posted, it doesnt seem like I would get very far in this particular request. Although I wonder if there was the possibility of refunding the app then re-purchasing on the correct ID.

For now I think I will consult my local apple store to see if this was at all possible before calling the customer service line. But I greatly appreciate your help and this has made me much more wary over who makes company purchases on what ID's.

Thank you kindly,

Jameel

How to transfer a bought app to another ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.