Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install new xcode without admin rights

Hi there,

I saw alot of threads about XCode as non-admin but non if it helped...

We have a setup with the programmers are non-admins...

We want to make the programmers choose and select a specific XCode version from the server.

We created a simple shell-Script wich lets the user select all versions on the company server wich we provide and copies it to ~/Applications

This works fine and the users are very happy with that.

Problems:

As soon as he starts the XCode.app he gets asked for Administration Privileges to install "Components"

(what are these anyway? Or cant we provide them somehow?)

If this is done by a Administrator the XCode works fine and there is no issue

BUT: If the programmer wants to install Command Line Tools he will be asked again for Admin-rights.

Not for the Doc Sets (We just placed them in the User Library instead of /Library)

We've tried:

DevToolsSecurity -enable

dscl . append /Groups/_developer GroupMembership

Didnt helped :-(

Are there any other suggestions than edit the /etc/authorization file?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.....

Michael

XCode-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 5:05 AM

10 replies

Dec 18, 2013 5:08 PM in response to tmaeda

Plan for it. If Xcode isn't relaesed until after the year starts, stay on the old version. It's not like the instructors are suddenly going to rewrite their courses to use the newest bleeding edge features.

Heck, for most programming tasks studnets are going to be doing, you could probably still be using Xcode 4.

I have taught programming at the university level; if I ever asked the tech staff to do what you want, they'd have lynched me. Machine images were frozen in August and did not change but for an act of God.

Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM in response to tmaeda

tmaeda wrote:

True, but they do need many of the same tools that programmers will need.

That is an entirely different topic than what the original poster is talking about. I suggest you start your own thread and describe your problem and how you would like things to work in an ideal world.

Students should not have admin rights on machines. There are proper ways to get Xcode to work nicely in an education environment. Unfortunately, that often requires a competent IT staff willing and able to support Macs. I am thinking that your situation is pretty typical and you don't have that. Otherwise, it would already be done and you wouldn't be asking here 🙂.

Ideally, have IT handle it. If they can't handle it, as they probably can't, start a new question here in the developer forum and people will help you cobble together some scripts to make it work.

install new xcode without admin rights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.