Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking Sound when lifting/moving MBP w/ Retina display

I recently purchased the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display (Late 2013) and I've noticed that sometimes when I touch the bottom of it in just the right spot (near the center) it makes a very slight clicking or ticking noise. It also makes this same noise sometimes when moving or lifting it. I've only had this MacBook for about 2 days now and haven't dropped or bumped into it at all. It's such a slight sound that it's probably nothing, but I just want to make sure. The only info I could find was related to older MacBooks with hard drives.

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 6:19 AM

2 replies

Dec 18, 2013 6:45 AM in response to mysticalncboy

I would check for a possible loose screw holding the bottom panel on. That being said, since I don't own one of those models (I have a late 2011 MBP 13"), I have no idea if the screws they use on the newer models are standard Phillips or Apple's proprietary Pentalobe (5-sided) screws. I would assume they are Phillips since the PC is likely upgradable (HDD, memory). If they are Phillips, go through and snug up the screws. It may help. Also, since the MacBook is new, you may want to take it in to the Genius Bar and have them check it out for you if you snug up the screws and it's still making the clicking sound.

EDIT: chek out the links on the right side of the page that says "More like this", especially here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2069071?answerId=10112877022#10112877022

The sound you're hearing may be the normal operation of the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor).

Feb 24, 2014 2:51 PM in response to SergZak

I also have this issue and I've had it on an older 13" MacBook Pro as well. It most likely is one of the screws on the bottom of the panel.

The new retina 13" models use Apple's proprietary screwdriver so you'll need to order one or take it into an Apple Store to get it tightened.

@SergZak, the noise from the sudden motion sensor is the hard drive head parking itself to prevent damage in case of a fall. The new retina MacBooks do not have mechanical hard drives so there's no way it could be this.

Clicking Sound when lifting/moving MBP w/ Retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.