Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a mid 2008 Imac and upgraded my hard drive, I installed my system software disc 10.5.8 however I can not acess Itunes because it require a newer version of quictime. I did not keep my Leopard and snow Leopard upgrades and discs. I did buy Lion and mountain Lion from Itunes and all was fine. Now I am forced to purchase snow leapord for 10.6 $19.95 which is so unfair so that I can get back to Lion and Maverick which I had previous to my hard drive replacement.

Any suggestions?

iMac, iOS 5.1.1, I had Maverick prior to hard drive

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 7:40 AM

10 replies

Dec 18, 2013 9:40 AM in response to sparko1947

sparko1947 wrote:

I have a mid 2008 Imac and upgraded my hard drive, I installed my system software disc 10.5.8 however I can not acess Itunes because it require a newer version of quictime. I did not keep my Leopard and snow Leopard upgrades and discs. I did buy Lion and mountain Lion from Itunes and all was fine. Now I am forced to purchase snow leapord for 10.6 $19.95 which is so unfair so that I can get back to Lion and Maverick which I had previous to my hard drive replacement.

What are you using now to post this?

Dec 18, 2013 11:51 AM in response to sparko1947

sparko1947 wrote:

Any suggestions?

So... you got rid of the discs you'd someday need... and it's unfair that you should have to replace them?
Pardon me but...

User uploaded file

What did you expect?

Dec 18, 2013 12:09 PM in response to sparko1947

sparko1947 wrote:

Any suggestions?

You don't need Snow Leopard unless you want to install over it (pretty sure there is no requirement to do so since you already purchased Mavericks using SL).

Create a Recovery drive on an external and use that to create a Recovery drive on the new empty drive..

-> http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

You can then boot off that (Hold Command R and start the Mac) and reinstall Mavericks.

Dec 18, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Chris CA

I got the impression the OP had a smaller drive and upgraded the slow way. Now bought a new drive and installed Leopard from the original system discs but found iTunes won't run, so now needs to upgrade again.

If the OP installed a new drive and went back to the original Leopard install (still not sure how that was done if the discs were tossed, except if it was done as I posted earlier) then there is no recovery partition from which to boot. It's on the old hard drive and the Leopard installer wouln't have set up the drive for the newer way of doing things. However, shouldn't it be possible to do an Internet boot and recovery, or does that only work for Macs which came with a 10.7+ OS originally? Edit: I'm pretty sure that would not work. A 2008 Mac just wouldn't have that built in -- whoever heard of booting to the Internet back then? Right now the computer is as it was back in 2008.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.