Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recover from Windows login failure: User Profile Service failed the login

I have Boot Camp installed on a separate partition on a MacBook Pro, late 2011 model. I have Mavericks installedd (10.9.1). I use, variously, both Parallels and VM Fusion to access the BootCamp installation of Windows 7.

Except for having recently installed updates of both VMFusion and Parallels, I got this failure message when trying to login to Windows:: The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

I had just been on Windows a few moments previously to access a business site that only accepts IE. Appreciate any useful insight on dealing with this issue without having to totally replace the BootCamp installation. A lot of the suggestions on Microsoft Windows repair sites are either incomprehensible or don't seem applicable.

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 4:52 PM

Hi Allen. Did you solve this? It just happened to me on my MacBook Pro. Arggggg

2 replies

Jun 23, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Allan Jensen

Same problem here. Windows 7 support gives several so-called fixes (including regedit tweaks, eliminating the blocked user account), but all require access to that partition. So far as I know, I have only one user, since this is my personal computer -- unless there is some sort of default "administrator" logon.

Windows support says the problem might be caused by antivirus software running while we try to logon, but this problem has never happened to me before, and I have not made anti-virus changes (maybe AVG or Avast did so automatically)

I tried to access regedit through Finder, but get a garbled text-edit with the message that regedit cannot be opened by DOS.

So I wonder (a) is there a default admin logon? (b) Can we tinker with the settings inside Windows from Finder, or (c) how else can we get into Windows?

My setup: Macbook Pro (Fall 2010), 10.6.8, boot camp, Windows 7.

How can I recover from Windows login failure: User Profile Service failed the login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.