Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How are Macbooks at running AutoCAD?

My dad has two Dell Precisions and are very reliable. They're quality built machines but since they're windows-based, the get viruses easy and he came close to losing a major job because of a virus. I would like him to switch to Mac and run AutoCAD on the Mac OS and not parallel/partition on Windows as that would be pointless. I currently have a mid-2012 13" non-retina with all standard parts, but I upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. And I would also like to start doing what he does. I'm just curious if any Macbook Pro could run AutoCAD, and if so, what should be in it. He has spent about $2,000+ on each Precision he has, and that includes the laptops (m4500 and m4700), two 23" monitors for his newer one, one 23" monitor for his older one, a docking station for each, and an external mouse and keyboard for each.

My brother and I really love the MacBooks as they are super reliable and there aren't as many viruses for the Mac OS, and I will be getting an Apple Time Capsule soon and he want to have an automated backup system for his computers and its possible for him to do that but its complicated to do. And I'd really like for my dad to switch as he has probably the biggest jobs he's ever had and these jobs are going to take like, 7 years to do as there are multiple buildings he is working on for a major company, plus some other smaller side jobs.

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Running Mavericks

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 10:17 AM

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad/compare/compare-platforms

Here is one comprehensive review:

http://architosh.com/2013/01/product-review-autocad-for-mac-2013/

there aren't as many viruses for the Mac OS,

There arent any, period.

Time Machine using a Time Capsule is so simple to use and so foolproof its sole user interface consists of an "on / off" switch:

User uploaded file

1. Turn it on
  2. There is no Step 2
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2013 10:17 AM in response to Look-at-menow

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad/compare/compare-platforms

Here is one comprehensive review:

http://architosh.com/2013/01/product-review-autocad-for-mac-2013/

there aren't as many viruses for the Mac OS,

There arent any, period.

Time Machine using a Time Capsule is so simple to use and so foolproof its sole user interface consists of an "on / off" switch:

User uploaded file

1. Turn it on
  2. There is no Step 2

Dec 18, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Look-at-menow

Ah I see. All I know is it runs slow and Ali think another reason it's slow is I believe he mentioned it being jailbroken. It is still possible to get a virus on Mac and my other friend has proved it to me. He didn't fry mine or his machine or anyone's but demonstrated by created a code for the computer to follow that simply opened a few programs.

Dec 19, 2013 2:43 AM in response to Look-at-menow

No, there are Mac viruses. I have a friend who has an air and he's got viruses. He's taken it to multiple places to have it cleaned up. But thanks.

There is Mac malware, but it's quite rare at this time and none is known that is capable of infecting an up-to-date system. So it's very unlikely your friend has any actual Mac malware. He probably has anti-virus software that is detecting Windows malware, attached to e-mail messages and the like. He should stop filling the pockets of techs who are willing to take advantage by cleaning up things that don't really need to be cleaned up.

For more info on this subject, see my Mac Malware Guide.

But this is getting far off the topic of AutoCAD. That's what happens when you use the word "virus" around here. I'd recommend you try asking your question again, starting a new topic, without any mention of viruses or malware.

Jul 31, 2014 3:44 AM in response to chang fong

chang fong wrote:

There are indeed viruses on Mac.

First, note that you're responding to an old topic from 2013, which is rarely productive. I'm not sure why you're doing so in such an argumentative manner unless it's to try to make Apple look bad for some reason.

I would refer you to the malware guide I mentioned in my earlier post on this topic.

Apr 23, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Look-at-menow

This might be a very old conversation ( or monolog on virus...) but If I may:

Running Macbook Pro with OS X 10.10.2 2,8 GHz Intel Cor I7 - 16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3 - HD drive & AUTODESK - Autocad LT 2015.

I will average close to 500 drawing versions per years on various projects. Only 2D cad, no 3D. Never had a drawing file bigger than 30 meg, and that is a huge project in such a case. Average file size is 10 to 15 megs. Also, I've been a CAD user since learning on Autocad 13... ! it's been a little while!

I migrated from Microsoft to Apple a little more than a year ago and decided to get AUTOCAD LT ( $$ reasons obviously) instead of a full licence for ACAD used throughout the office.

I'd say it runs ok, just ok but by a long shot, no where as near as with my old version on WIN7. Don't get me wrong. I'll never go back to Microsoft products as I believe the philosophy behind Apple's platform and user interphase is nothing else but brilliant. But still to this date, I often use my old PC to tackle big CAD projects or bring the frustration down after to many crashes.

ACAD LT freezes on a constant basis, all sort of weird activity arises when using a Magic mouse or Mac track pad. ACAD has a hard time managing parallel task ( zoom and PL for example). I also encounter boot up freezing on some large cad files ( 10 megs or more) and that's not while multi tasking other stuff. ( music or emails or what not). Hatching is just a nightmare with parameters are not set properly. Block editing will sometimes freak out if the block is too big in size, when it won't simply crash the drawing. Sometimes, Autocad freezes and even if you let it process for an hour, it keeps turning the wheel. If lucky, escaping will bring it back to a working state. then better save right away otherwise, be certain it will crash for good within half an hour or so.

Every once in a while, the tool set will disappear partially, Command line or status bar is no where to be found and impossible to get back unless you reset the whole tool set....... and I can go on and on if you want?

I have lost a few hours of work even if I have auto save every 15 minutes. corrupted drawing files occurs after a major crash. That's not to way that you have to unlock you files every time you follow a crash on ACADLT.

Most of the time, ACAD will send a report to Autodesk but to this date, I haven't heard nor red anything to solve the situation. I have spent some time looking at information on the net but never really found anything clear on this topic; Autodesk software running on MAC that is!

Bottom line, Autodesk software were first created for Windows platform and also, the "LT"version might be another issue or topic in itself ! It's not a light version but rather a Low Tolerance Autocad.

hope this helps?

How are Macbooks at running AutoCAD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.