Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand 10: 'more sounds' purchase stuck in perma-download

I've already seen several unresolved threads on this issue, but wanted to bump it up in case somebody out there has found out anything.

On our new iMac, my daughter chose the in-app purchase of extra sounds for $4.99. That was 3 days ago. It's been downloading ever since.

According to the dialog box, the app must remain open for the download to continue, so we've done that. Yet the progress bar never makes it past about 20%, and every few seconds the estimated time remaining fluctuates wildly between 7 and 50+ hours, usually hovering somewhere around 30. We have noticed that certain loops that were originally greyed-out are now available, but, like other folks have noted, "slide guitar," "vocals," and "clavinet" remain grey.

I have received no receipt from Apple confirming the purchase, nor is there any record of the purchase in our App Store purchases tab, nor have I figured out any way to determine what specific additional content is actually included in this endless, ginormous download. It is disconcerting that this content isn't simply available via the standard methods. If in-app purchases are the wave of the future, fine, but at least let me know what I'm buying.

Has anybody else been able to figure out what's going on with this? Thanks!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 8:28 AM

7 replies

Dec 19, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Twisty

I have the same issue. I chose to purchase the extra content via in-app purchase. I lost my internet connection while downloading the loops. The progress was quite far along after leaving the download all night long. After losing connection, I had a popup telling me that the connection was lost. I clicked OK and was looking at normal GarageBand with no indication of what to do next. I closed and reopened the software and an install screen started immediately, regardless of the fact that the download had not completed. When finished, I have all of the loops except the Slide Guitar, Vocals, and Clavinet. Also, this did not install the extra instruments or drummers. I had to download both of those seperately. And I think I'm still missing a drumkit or too(greyed out).

Also, no receipt for purchase and no indication as to what should be contained in the content pack.

Also on Late 2013 iMac with OSX 10.9.

May 3, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Twisty

Happening to me also. Just purchased "More Sounds" for $4.99. After the blue bar at the bottom filled in, download did not finish. So I left it overnight. It is still stuck in "Donwloading".

My computer is connected directly to cable modem via ethernet.

Sad thing is that no moderator says anything. And I see this issue 5 months old, at least, and not resolved.

May 3, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Beto Carvalho

I just saw a thread in the Mavericks forum - Mavericks - App Store - GarageBand Wont Stop Updating !?!?

In some cases it seems to help to try the download after starting the Mac in Safe Mode - this can help with timeouts while downloading.

To start the Mac in Safe Mode, see: Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Also, make sure, you have accepted GarageBand to your AppleID:

GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unable to complete in-app purchase

Aug 18, 2014 12:32 AM in response to Twisty

After spending a lot of time re-downloading the purchase, restarting Garageband, and general confusion... I found a rather embarrassing solution.

Open Preferences, click Loops, and uncheck "Filter for more relevant results" next to Keyword Browsing. The Slide Guitar and Clavinet loops are in keys outside the two-semitone range of default C-major projects, and thus are hidden with the default preference setting. Oops!

GarageBand 10: 'more sounds' purchase stuck in perma-download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.